Amazing deal: Fly Southwest to Hawaii for under $300 round-trip this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Currently, you can book Southwest flights from many mainland U.S. cities to Hawaii for under $300 round-trip. These flights usually cost well over $800, presenting huge savings on a mid-summer trip to paradise. Plus, you can book the cheapest routes for less than 20,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards points.
Let’s take a closer look at the deal.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Southwest Airlines
Routes: Dozens of continental U.S. cities to Hawaii, roundtrip
Cost: From $286 or 18,256 Rapid Rewards points
Dates: Now through Fall 2021
How to book: Go to Southwest’s website and enter your origin and select a city in Hawaii. Most deals route through Southwest’s new Hawaii gateways in Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX) and Phoenix (PHX) or on one of the 15 new routes announced today. You’ll find the cheapest flights on direct flights from these cities, but connecting tickets receive a nice discount too.
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Is it worth it?
As discussed, round-trip tickets to Hawaii usually cost well over $800 but can be even more expensive during the summer months. These cheap flights are an excellent way to plan a summer vacation and, if you’d like, burn some Rapid Rewards points in the process.
These deals are even more valuable if you have a Southwest Companion Pass. You can use this to bring a set friend or family member with you on all Southwest flights. This effectively doubles the value of your Rapid Rewards points and halves the price of Southwest flights when flying with your companion.
Chances are, this Hawaii won’t stick around for long, so book now if you want to lock in a deal. Remember, Southwest flights are completely flexible too. It may be worth booking speculatively and changing your flights later if plans don’t work out.
You can find deals from most Southwest gateways, but nonstop flights are the cheapest. Here’s a look at a handful of the flights you can book with cash or your Southwest Rapid Rewards points. You may find cheap flights on other routes too.
San Diego (SAN) to Kona (KOA) from $286.60 round-trip
Las Vegas (LAS) to Maui (OGG) from $378 round-trip
Denver (DEN) to Honolulu (HNL) from $415.60 round-trip
Houston-Hobby (HOU) to Honolulu (HNL) from $429.90 round-trip
Chicago-Midway (MDW) to Honolulu (HNL) from $475.60 round-trip
San Diego (SAN) to Kona (KOA) from 18,256 points round-trip
Oakland (OAK) to Honolulu (HNL) from 28,209 points round-trip
St. Louis (STL) to Maui (OGG) from 29,048 points round-trip
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hilo (ITO) from 33,129 points round-trip
Boosting your Rapid Rewards balance
There are plenty of ways to earn Southwest points. The easiest is transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards points to the airline at a 1:1 transfer ratio or spending with a Southwest cobranded credit card. These cards let you earn Rapid Rewards on your everyday spending and include lucrative signup bonuses.
Here’s a look at Southwest’s current credit card offers:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card – Earn 40,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card – Earn 40,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card –Earn 40,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card – Earn 60,000 points when you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card – Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
Maximize your purchase
Be sure to pay for your ticket with a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare and offers travel protections. Some of the best include The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. Each of these cards earns bonus points and will protect you if your flight is delayed.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
All screenshots courtesy of Southwest Airlines
Feature photo by Phillip B. Espinasse / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees