Southwest deal alert: Book flights to Chicago for just 2,655 miles one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines currently is running a sale on flights booked with miles between Chicago’s Midway International Airport (MDW) and more than two dozen U.S. cities, with one-way fares starting at just 2,655 miles.
TPG currently values Southwest miles at 1.5 cents each, which means Southwest is giving away these flights for as little as $39.83 worth of miles.
The very lowest fares appear to be for flights to Chicago from Boston (BOS); Providence, R.I. (PVD); Fort Lauderdale, Florida (FLL); and Miami (MIA) during the first couple months of the year. Flights between Chicago and Dallas (DAL) and New York (LGA) at the start of the year also are noticeably low.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This deal was originally sent out by Thrifty Traveler Premium, which for $7.99 monthly or $49.99 annually, will send news of cheap flights, award flight sales and business-class deals straight to your email.
Airline: Southwest Airlines.
Routes: Between Chicago (MDW) and more than two dozen cities, including ATL/BWI/BOS/CVG/COS/DAL/DEN/FLL/IAH/MCI/LAS/LAX/MIA/MSY/LGA/MCO/SAN/TPA.
How to book: Directly through the airline’s booking page.
Travel dates: Now through Sept. 5 (the last day for which Southwest flights currently are available). But the lowest fares are clustered in January and February.
Book by: There doesn’t appear to be an end date for the sale. But it’s likely the lowest mile fares will disappear fast.
To find dates with the lowest fares, I recommend starting at Southwest’s Low Fare Calendar page and using it in one-way mode. Plug in your departure city, set Chicago (MDW) as your destination, pick a departure month and then hit ‘Search.’
Once you’ve found an inexpensive outbound flight, you can circle back and play around to find a low-cost return flight. Or you can search for an outbound flight and return flight at the same time using the “round-trip” mode using the calendar.
Some of the best one-way deals I found in the sale include:
- Boston (BOS) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 2,655 miles.
- Providence (PVD) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 2,655 miles.
- Dallas (DAL) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 3,427 miles.
- Miami (MIA) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 2,655 miles.
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 2,655 miles.
- New York (LGA) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 3,427 miles.
- Orlando (MCO) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 3,813 miles.
- Tampa (TPA) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 3,813 miles.
- Seattle (SEA) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 4,971 miles.
- Atlanta (ATL) to and from Chicago (MDW), for 3,813 miles.
As noted above, TPG currently values Rapid Rewards points at 1.5 cents each, and you can use our new Awards vs. Cash Calculator to determine whether a deal is a better value in cash or points.
Maximize your purchase
Taxes and fees on these miles fares will come to $5.60, one-way. While that’s not all that much, it still pays to use a card that earns points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or via Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel). Or, use your Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card for 3x on Southwest Airlines purchases. Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You’ll want to move fast to grab the low miles fares to and from Chicago that are part of this deal. It’s not every day you can snag a flight to the city for under 3,000 miles.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees