Deal alert: Southwest celebrates Independence Day with fares from $49 each way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is running a patriotic Independence Day deal, offering flights between select cities from $49 or 2,671 points each way (plus at least $5.60 in taxes and fees) for economy seats.
The no-change-fee airline’s “Independence Yay Sale!” runs through July 8 for select travel dates (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) and destinations between Aug. 17 and Dec. 16. Whether you’re bound for Las Vegas, Atlanta, Detroit or Jacksonville, Florida, there might be a deal here for you.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Routes: Between BWI/DTW/FAT/LAS/BNA/MDW/ATL/CLT/JAX/SDF/HNL/SAN and more
Cost: From $49 one-way
Dates: Book by July 8 for travel between Aug. 17 and Dec. 16 (most routes)
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available from Southwest:
- As low as $49 one-way nonstop between Fresno, California, and Las Vegas.
- As low as $67 one-way nonstop between Nashville and Chicago (MDW).
- As low as $67 one-way nonstop between Baltimore/Washington and Detroit.
- As low as $75 one-way nonstop between Charlotte and Atlanta.
- As low as $89 one-way nonstop between Louisville, Kentucky, and Jacksonville.
- As low as $139 one-way nonstop between San Diego and Honolulu.
The lowest prices tend to be available midweek (Tuesdays and Wednesdays), particularly in the fall. Some examples are below.
With new Southwest Hawaii routes available this summer, pricing is shockingly low for flights there, as well, with San Diego to Honolulu (HNL) and Oakland, California, to HNL both starting at $139 each way. (But be aware that, even though Hawaii is ending testing requirements for vaccinated travelers, the state’s COVID-19 requirements could make travel cumbersome.)
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees