Deal alert: Fly to Europe this winter for as low as $316
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re anxious to return to Europe or want to plan your first trip overseas, winter may be the perfect opportunity.
There is a slew of cut-rate fares to some of Europe’s most desirable destinations. Our friends at Thrifty Traveler discovered these sale rates offered by Scandinavian Airlines, a Star Alliance member. Round-trip tickets are available for travel from various big cities to Europe for as low as $316! Keep in mind many of these routes are often priced close to $1,500. There are even some nonstop flights available at these prices to Stockholm; Copenhagen, Denmark; and Oslo, Norway.
For more TPG news delivered each morning right to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
Airlines: Lufthansa and Scandinavian Airlines.
Routes: BOS/EWR/IAD/LAX/MIA/ORD/SFO to CPH/HEL/ARN/BGO/FRA/HAM and others.
Cost: The lowest fares start at $316 round-trip, including premium economy; some nonstop routes are available as well.
Dates: January-March 2022.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Some examples of the round-trip fares that are part of this deal are:
- Chicago (ORD) to Stockholm (ARN) starting at $348 round-trip.
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Helsinki (HEL) starting at $367 round-trip.
- Miami (MIA) to Copenhagen (CPH) starting at $433 round-trip.
- Newark (EWR) to Hamburg, Germany (HAM), and Tallinn, Estonia (TLL), starting at $349 round-trip.
- San Francisco (SFO) to Gothenburg, Sweden (GOT), starting at $316 round-trip.
Usually, discounted deals like this are for bare-bones fares, with no seat assignments. What makes this sale especially appealing is many of these prices are for SAS Plus seats. That’s Scandinavian’s premium economy offering, which comes with a larger reclining seat, free seat assignment and two free checked bags, as well as lounge access.
Another bonus is that SAS is allowing free changes and cancellation for a voucher on these fares, so you can book your tickets without risk. Also, note that you can credit miles earned on SAS flights to your United MileagePlus account.
Let’s get to the bargains, and this first one is amazing — Chicago (ORD) to Stockholm (ARN) for $348 round-trip in January. Did we mention that’s for a nonstop flight? That’s right.
There is fairly wide availability for this route in January, mostly for one-stop itineraries, but there are some nonstops to be had.
I found this nonstop fare from Miami (MIA) to Copenhagen (CPH), also in January, for just $433.
Los Angeles (LAX) to Helsinki (HEL) is also seeing incredibly low prices in February and March. Is $367 for a round-trip ticket something you might be interested in?
If you live in the tri-state area and are hankering to visit Germany, February seems to be your best bet. That’s when you’ll find the best availability for flights departing out of Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) to Hamburg (HAM). The best price we found was for $349 for a round-trip ticket, with a layover in Copenhagen.
Newark to Munich is also available for $377, more than 50% cheaper than the usual cost for a round-trip ticket.
We’ve saved our cheapest deals for last. You can fly from San Francisco to Gothenburg in February for just $316 round-trip!
San Francisco to Copenhagen is also a superb bargain at the moment. A nonstop ticket can be had for only $432.
How to book your flights
The easiest way to do it is if you’re a Thrifty Traveler Premium subscriber. You can also simply use Google Flights, plug in your destination city and start searching for dates that fit your travel schedule.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on air travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Sylvain Sonnet for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees