Round trip to Rome, Milan, Athens from $306 or 38,500 miles on United, Emirates and more
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been hoping to check Greece and Italy off of your bucket list, there’s no better time than the present. According to Google Flights, these fares are at least $200 cheaper than the typical off-peak pricing. But act quickly: Many of these fares are set to increase in the next 10 hours, according to the Google Flights pricing predictor.
These flights are available from both the East and West Coasts as well as major airports in the Midwest.
Flights to Rome begin at just $307 round trip on SkyTeam’s Delta and Air France/KLM, or $309 round trip on Star Alliance carriers such as United and Air Canada. Or visit Milan or Athens from $409 round trip on the famous Emirates fifth freedom routes, where even economy class is quite plush. The cheapest routes are on Norwegian, and start at $306 round trip out of New York.
Spring is a lovely time to visit both countries — the weather is inviting, and peak tourist season doesn’t begin until mid- to late May.
Note that, while the award flight rates are a steal compared to United’s former fixed rates of 30,000 miles one way to Europe, you’ll find a better deal paying cash at these $300 fare prices, based on our monthly valuations.
Some of these fares may book into basic economy, which means different things to different airlines, but often means you may not have free use of the overhead bins for a carry-on bag. You probably also won’t be able to select your seat, get an upgrade, or earn PQM/PQS/PQDs. However, it’s possible to defeat many of basic economy’s negative aspects by having elite status or a cobranded credit card.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Norwegian, United, Emirates, Air Canada, KLM, Air France,
Routes: JFK/EWR/ORD/LAX/SFO and more to FCO/MXP/ATH
Cost: from $306 round trip
Dates: February — April 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
New York (EWR) to Rome (FCO) round trip nonstop on United for 38,500 MileagePlus miles and $68.25:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $306 round trip on Air France in basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $316 round trip on American in basic economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome (FCO) for $327 round trip on Delta/Alitalia via KLM in basic economy:
Chicago (ORD) to Rome (FCO) for $327 round trip on KLM in basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) round trip nonstop on Emirates for $409 via Expedia:
Chicago (ORD) to Milan (MXP) for $452 round trip on TAP Air Portugal:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees