Deal alert: Fly to Hawaii in lie-flat first class for just 45,000 miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii is open again and welcoming COVID-negative visitors. While there may be new entry requirements — think mandatory pre-arrival testing and potentially quarantines — it’s well worth the extra effort for some.
If you’ve been thinking about visiting Hawaii, today might be the perfect time to book. American Airlines is currently offering first-class flights to Hawaii from just 45,000 AAdvantage miles each way. Even better, you can book flights with lie-flat seats at this rate, including on nonstop routes. These awards are being sold as “web specials” and are up to 17,500 miles cheaper than regular saver-level awards on this route.
We’re seeing this availability from cities across the mainland U.S., such as Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), New York (LGA) and Atlanta (ATL), to Hawaiian islands like Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG) and Kona (KOA).
To fly lie-flat, pick flights connecting through DFW or Chicago (ORD) that are operated by a Boeing 777 or 787. Business-class seats on both of these aircraft offer direct aisle access, meaning you won’t have another passenger directly next to you (read: more space to socially distance).
45,000 AAdvantage miles are worth $630 based on TPG valuations so you’re getting a great deal considering these flights often cost around $1,000 each way if booking with cash. Although web specials cannot be changed once ticketed, you can cancel and reinstate your miles free of charge. Also, note that American Airlines will sometimes provide a mileage discount for booking round-trip, so you may be able to save even more on your award.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: Various cities such as ATL/DFW/EWR/IAH/LGA/JFK/ORD/IAD to/from HNL/OGG/KOA
Cost: 45,000 AAdvantage miles + $5.60 taxes and fees one-way
Dates: February through the end of the booking window
Pay taxes/fees with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Below are a few examples of what you can book. We recommend using AA’s calendar function and filtering your search to only show Business/First class to find the best availability.
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Honolulu (HNL) for 45,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way nonstop:
New York (LGA) to Honolulu for 45,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Atlanta (ATL) to Honolulu for 45,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Newark (EWR) to Kona (KOA) for 45,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
New York to Maui (OGG) for 45,000 AA miles + $5.60 one-way:
Chicago (ORD) to Honolulu for 54,500 AA miles + $5.60 one-way nonstop:
Boosting your AAdvantage balance
There are a variety of ways to earn American miles — from AA-operated flights to trips on Oneworld airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your American Airlines AAdvantage balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: 50,000 miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Plus Admirals Club access for yourself and up to 10 authorized users.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening.
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card: 10,000 miles and a $50 statement credit after you spend $500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening — with no annual fee
The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Maximize your purchase
When paying the taxes and fees on your award ticket, be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases and offers travel protections in case anything goes wrong. Cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Screenshots courtesy of American Airlines.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Additional reporting by JT Genter
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees