Deal Alert: Flights to Japan From $569 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’ve been wanting to experience one of TPG’s favorite destinations, now may be your chance. Flights to Tokyo and Osaka are on sale from as low as $583 round-trip, including many mid-sized cities as well as the major hubs. The sale follows closely on the heels of Thursday’s news regarding expanded routes to Tokyo’s Haneda Airport (HND) that will launch sometime in 2020, as well as Delta One award availability between the US and Tokyo.
Flights are operated by all three of the big US carriers such as United, Delta and American Airlines, and Asian airlines like JAL, ANA and Singapore, which operates a nonstop fifth freedom flight between LA and Tokyo Narita.
Use Google Flights to search for your preferred departure and destination and then book with an OTA like Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline. On some routes, especially from secondary cities, you may find better prices after searching through SkyScanner. However if you do book with one of the smaller OTA’s, you may not be as well protected in case you need to change or cancel your flight.
Airlines: American, JAL, ANA, Delta, Singapore, United
Routes: CLT/SFO/LAX/SEA/ORD/ATL/MCO/AUS/IAH/LAS/PIT/BOS/LGA/JFK/SAN/PHX/MIA to HND/NRT/KIX
Cost: $569+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: September through April 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Seattle (SEA) to Tokyo (NRT) for $569 round-trip nonstop on ANA (via United):
Atlanta (ATL) to Tokyo (HND) for $583 round-trip on United:
Chicago (ORD) to Tokyo (HND) for $588 round-trip on Delta:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (NRT) for $749 round-trip nonstop on Singapore:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Kitchakron / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.