This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Want a beach vacation but you’ve been to Hawaii too many times already on all the recent flight deals? How about another amazing beach destination that you don’t need a passport to visit: the US Virgin Islands! Despite the devastation that the islands endured last hurricane season, the US Virgin Islands are open for tourism and they need your support.
To find these low fares, head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure and destination cities. After finding the dates that work best for you, book directly with the airline or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline. If you want to ensure the price includes a carry-on bag, you can use Google Flights’ newest feature that filters out most basic economy fares.
Airlines: American, JetBlue, Delta
Routes: MIA/FLL/SAN/LAX/JFK/BOS/PDX/RDU to STX/STT
Cost: $201+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August-November 2018, January-February 2019, April-May 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Miami (MIA) to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (STT) for $201 round-trip nonstop on American:
San Diego (SAN) to St. Thomas, VI (STT) for $252 round-trip on Delta:
Los Angeles (LAX) to St. Thomas, VI (STT) for $260 round-trip on American:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to St. Criox, VI (STX) for $263 round-trip on JetBlue:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to St. Criox, VI (STX) for $264 round-trip on American:
Boston (BOS) to St. Thomas, VI (STT) in February for $273 round-trip on Delta:
Portland (PDX) to St. Thomas, VI (STT) for $288 round-trip on Delta:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to St. Thomas, VI (STT) for $292 round-trip on American:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by cdwheatley / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees