This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The day many of us having been waiting for is finally here: a Google Flights filter for basic economy fares!
Google Flights is a TPG favorite for ease in searching for flight prices, schedules, aircraft types and more. But, one annoyance that we’ve had in the wake of basic economy expanding to most domestic airlines was that Google Flights didn’t have an option to filter out these fares. Even when Google Flights updated its interface this January, that option still wasn’t added.
For legacy carriers that charge for carry-on bags (American, United), this selection will eliminate basic economy fares. However, since Delta doesn’t restrict basic economy passengers from carrying on a bag, Delta basic economy fares will still show up.
And since low-cost carriers like Frontier and Spirit don’t have a non-basic economy option, selecting the “overhead bin access” option prices in the cost of a carry-on bag:
This gives flight searchers an apple-to-apple comparison between low-cost carrier and legacy airline flight options.
Unfortunately for fellow fans of the older version of Google Flights, this option is only found on the new interface.
If you’re a Google Flights power user, make sure you’ve installed the helpful Chrome extensions to add legroom data to initial search results and easily price compare with websites like Expedia, Momondo, Kayak and SkyScanner.
Featured image by Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees