Google Flights (Finally) Adds Carry On Bag Fee Filter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The day many of us having been waiting for is finally here: a Google Flights filter for basic economy fares!
Google Flights is a TPG favorite for ease in searching for flight prices, schedules, aircraft types and more. But, one annoyance that we’ve had in the wake of basic economy expanding to most domestic airlines was that Google Flights didn’t have an option to filter out these fares. Even when Google Flights updated its interface this January, that option still wasn’t added.
For legacy carriers that charge for carry-on bags (American, United), this selection will eliminate basic economy fares. However, since Delta doesn’t restrict basic economy passengers from carrying on a bag, Delta basic economy fares will still show up.
And since low-cost carriers like Frontier and Spirit don’t have a non-basic economy option, selecting the “overhead bin access” option prices in the cost of a carry-on bag:
This gives flight searchers an apple-to-apple comparison between low-cost carrier and legacy airline flight options.
Unfortunately for fellow fans of the older version of Google Flights, this option is only found on the new interface.
If you’re a Google Flights power user, make sure you’ve installed the helpful Chrome extensions to add legroom data to initial search results and easily price compare with websites like Expedia, Momondo, Kayak and SkyScanner.
Featured image by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees