This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The day many of us having been waiting for is finally here: a Google Flights filter for basic economy fares!
Google Flights is a TPG favorite for ease in searching for flight prices, schedules, aircraft types and more. But, one annoyance that we’ve had in the wake of basic economy expanding to most domestic airlines was that Google Flights didn’t have an option to filter out these fares. Even when Google Flights updated its interface this January, that option still wasn’t added.
For legacy carriers that charge for carry-on bags (American, United), this selection will eliminate basic economy fares. However, since Delta doesn’t restrict basic economy passengers from carrying on a bag, Delta basic economy fares will still show up.
And since low-cost carriers like Frontier and Spirit don’t have a non-basic economy option, selecting the “overhead bin access” option prices in the cost of a carry-on bag:
This gives flight searchers an apple-to-apple comparison between low-cost carrier and legacy airline flight options.
Unfortunately for fellow fans of the older version of Google Flights, this option is only found on the new interface.
If you’re a Google Flights power user, make sure you’ve installed the helpful Chrome extensions to add legroom data to initial search results and easily price compare with websites like Expedia, Momondo, Kayak and SkyScanner.
Featured image by Getty Images
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards