This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines recently launched a new award discount program called Economy Web Specials. It initially launched on just six unremarkable routes. But Friday, we’re seeing a massive expansion of this discount award program — including award discounts to Hawaii. Award flights start at just 5,000 miles each way.
At current TPG valuations, 5,000 AAdvantage miles are worth approximately $70. Adding in taxes and fees of $5.60 each way, this is like getting a $76 one-way — or $151 round-trip — deal. Even better, there’s no basic economy restrictions on these tickets. That means American Airlines Executive Platinum elites can also score free upgrades on these award tickets.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can transfer Marriott points to American Airlines AAdvantage at a 3:1 rate. If you transfer 60,000 Marriott points, you’ll receive 5,000 bonus miles — meaning you’ll end up with a total of 25,000 AA miles for the 60,000-point transfer.
Head to AA.com and search around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. This is an open-ended deal, so there’s no particular booking deadline for these deals.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: Flights between US cities — including at least AUS, BOS, BWI, DFW, FLL, GSO, HNL, LAS, LAX, MCO, MSY, PDX, PHX and PIT
Cost: 5,000+ AA miles one-way in economy
Dates: Starting January 8, 2019
Booking Link: Directly with American Airlines
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip-delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Austin (AUS) to Los Angeles (LAX) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Phoenix (PHX) to Las Vegas (LAS) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Boston (BOS) to Greensboro (GSO) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Baltimore (BWI) to Orlando (MCO) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Orlando (MCO) to Pittsburgh (PIT) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) for 20,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees