This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi Prestige Card
American Airlines recently launched a new award discount program called Economy Web Specials. It initially launched on just six unremarkable routes. But Friday, we’re seeing a massive expansion of this discount award program — including award discounts to Hawaii. Award flights start at just 5,000 miles each way.
At current TPG valuations, 5,000 AAdvantage miles are worth approximately $70. Adding in taxes and fees of $5.60 each way, this is like getting a $76 one-way — or $151 round-trip — deal. Even better, there’s no basic economy restrictions on these tickets. That means American Airlines Executive Platinum elites can also score free upgrades on these award tickets.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can transfer Marriott points to American Airlines AAdvantage at a 3:1 rate. If you transfer 60,000 Marriott points, you’ll receive 5,000 bonus miles — meaning you’ll end up with a total of 25,000 AA miles for the 60,000-point transfer.
Head to AA.com and search around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. This is an open-ended deal, so there’s no particular booking deadline for these deals.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: Flights between US cities — including at least AUS, BOS, BWI, DFW, FLL, GSO, HNL, LAS, LAX, MCO, MSY, PDX, PHX and PIT
Cost: 5,000+ AA miles one-way in economy
Dates: Starting January 8, 2019
Booking Link: Directly with American Airlines
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip-delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Austin (AUS) to Los Angeles (LAX) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Phoenix (PHX) to Las Vegas (LAS) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Boston (BOS) to Greensboro (GSO) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip nonstop:
Baltimore (BWI) to Orlando (MCO) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Orlando (MCO) to Pittsburgh (PIT) for 10,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) for 20,000 miles + $11 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards