This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In November 2017, Delta debuted its brand new Delta One Suites on its Airbus A350. Since then, the excellent business class product has been installed on more A350s and onto some of Delta’s 777-200 aircraft.
If you’re interested in trying the product out for yourself, Delta’s going to charge you a lot of miles — even if you can find saver award availability. But, you can book the same award flights through Delta’s partner Virgin Atlantic at a significantly lower rate than what Delta charges. For just 50,000 Flying Club miles you can fly from the US to Europe in this fantastic product. And today, we’re seeing some solid award availability on multiple Delta One Suite routes.
Don’t have Flying Club miles? There are many ways of compiling them. Flying Club is a transfer partner of most of the major point currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1, instant transfer)
- Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1, instant transfer)
- Citi ThankYou Points (1:1, instant transfer)
- Marriott Rewards (3:1 with a 5,000-mile bonus for transferring 60,000 points, <48 hour transfer time)
There are some tricks on how to search Delta award flights on Virgin Atlantic, but we’ve got you covered there too. I’ve laid out the process here.
Routes: ATL/DTW/LAX/MSP to AMS/CDG
Cost: 50,000 miles + $5.60 taxes/fees one-way in Delta One Suites
Book Via: Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card, (3x on travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel plus trip delay insurance). It’s best to stick to a card that offers travel protections with such a low out-of-pocket cost. If you don’t have one of these, book with The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel) or the American Express® Gold Card.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (CDG) for 200,000 miles one-way for four passengers in July in Delta One Suites on the Boeing 777-200:
Atlanta (ATL) to Paris (CDG) for 50,000 miles one-way in Delta One Suites on the Boeing 777-200:
Detroit (DTW) to Amsterdam (AMS) for 50,000 miles one-way in Delta One Suites on the Airbus A350-900:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (CDG) for 50,000 miles one-way in Delta One Suites on the Boeing 777-200:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Paris (CDG) for 50,000 miles one-way in Delta One Suites on the Boeing 777-200:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by TPG Staff.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards