Delta Mileage Run: Spain to US in Lie-Flat Biz From $538 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
UPDATE – January 4, 2019 6:01pm EST: It appears that the deal is dead. For everyone who booked the deal, remember to hold off on making any other non-refundable plans until you’re sure the ticket will be honored.
After a week of crazy business and first-class mistake fares, Alitalia is out with an insane business class fare that originates in Barcelona (BCN) with flights available to New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX) and Chicago (ORD).
While it may seem odd to originate from Barcelona, this is an insanely cheap price (normally $2,500+) and is a great mileage run for Delta flyers, since purchasing tickets through Alitalia will earn MQDs off of the distance flown, not the price paid.
You’ll be in Alitalia business class, which features lie-flat seats and great food.
A round-trip ticket from Barcelona to Rome (FCO) to Los Angeles (LAX) would net 13,764 flight miles, earning you about about 5,500 MQDs with Delta. That’s about a third of the way toward Delta’s top-tier Diamond status. You’ll also earn bonus MQMs since its a business class flight — see Delta’s mileage earning chart with Alitalia here.
There are reports that the ticket is booking into the X fare class, which is an economy fare. However, a few TPG staff members were able to book the fare, ticket it and pick their seats in business class. Just be aware that there may be issues with this ticket down the road.
If you want to take advantage, be sure to act quick — these fares surely won’t last long. Also keep in mind that due to the nature of the fares, there’s a strong possibility that Alitalia won’t honor the tickets. Be sure to not book nonrefundable plans (i.e. hotels/positioning flights) until after ensuring that your ticket has been issued and will be honored.
To search, head to Google Flights, select dates that work for you and click through to book with Alitalia.
Routes: BCN to JFK/LAX/ORD
Cost: $538+ round-trip in business class
Travel Dates: January-May, October-November
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Barcelona (BCN) to New York (JFK) for $537 round-trip in business class:
Barcelona (BCN) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $580 round-trip in business class:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Mighty Travels
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.