Delta Flash Sale: Flights to the Caribbean Starting at 18,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta’s running a huge sale right now from US cities like Portland (PDX), Los Angeles (LAX) and New York to all over the Caribbean. Destinations include Cabo San Lucas (SJD), Belize City (BZE), Grand Cayman (GCM) and Montego Bay (MBJ).
Right now, some of the routes we’re seeing require fewer miles than what Delta is advertising. Atlanta (ATL) to San Juan (SJU) is being priced at 36,000 miles instead of the 36,500 miles Delta advertised. First class availability isn’t bad either, as we’re seeing a nonstop New York (JFK) to Punta Cana (PUJ) for only 56,000 miles and taxes.
It’s also worth noting that there are likely other routes on sale outside of those listed. So plug in your preferred airports and see how it’s pricing. Anything below 30,000-35,000 miles round-trip is generally considered a deal.
Of course, some terms apply. You can stay at your destination a maximum of 30 days, travel dates vary (some are available as early as July while others are available in November), and you’ll need to purchase your ticket 21 days in advance. You’ll need to book directly at.
To search, plug in your origin airport atalong with one of the sale destinations mentioned above. We recommend using Delta’s “Flexible Dates” calendar, and make sure you toggle to “Miles” when looking at search results.
TPG values each SkyMile at 1.2 cents, so 18,000 miles represents a cash equivalent of $216. If you’re in need of SkyMiles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Delta at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: Many US cities to the Caribbean
Cost: 18,000+ SkyMiles round-trip in Main Cabin (economy) plus taxes and fees
Travel Dates: July – November
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Portland (PDX) to San Jose del Cabo (SJD) for 18,000 miles + $97 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Boston (BOS) to Nassau (NAS) for $20,000 miles + $119 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
New York (JFK) to Montego Bay (MBJ) for 28,000 miles + $136 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Atlanta (ATL) to San Juan (SJU) for 36,000 miles + $11 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
New York (JFK) to Punta Cana (PUJ) for 56,000 miles + $115 in taxes and fees round-trip in first class:
Boosting Your SkyMiles Balance
There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 60,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months; offer subject to change at anytime, (you can transfer Membership Rewards points directly to Delta SkyMiles) Terms Apply.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn up to 75,000 bonus points: 50,000 bonus points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 bonus points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply.
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee; $550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020, See Rates & Fees); Earn 40,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express ($95 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Pola Damonte/ Getty Images.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card, click here.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.