This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta is known to periodically discount its award redemptions sometimes with notice and other times without any notice at all. This time around, Delta has posted a handful of discounted awards. And while they’re not as amazing as some of the SkyMiles deals we’ve seen in the past, this most recent round of deals is still a great way to save some miles when traveling domestically.
This promotion feature deals primarily originating from the West Coast. Destinations include both winter and warm escapes with discounted flights to Denver and Hawaii. While award sales often feature long and undesirable itineraries, that’s not the case with this particular domestic SkyMiles promotion with multiple nonstop itineraries included. While not part of the promotion, some flights also offer great First Class award redemption rates.
Tickets for this domestic SkyMiles promotion must be purchased by Jan. 7, 2019. Travel can take place from late January through early March. There are multiple dates with increased award redemption rates, including President’s Day weekend. The promotional SkyMiles award rates are usually available during the middle of the week.
Although Delta has recently introduced basic economy on award tickets, these economy deals still book into Main Cabin, so you’ll still be able to check a bag and select a seat for free.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: BOS/CVG/DTW/LAX/SEA to/from AUS/BNA/DEN/LIH/PHX/SJC
Cost: From 6,000+ miles one-way (or 12,000+ miles round-trip)
Travel Dates: Jan. 21 – March 7, 2019
Purchase By: Jan. 7 at 11:59 PST
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Seattle (SEA) to Denver (DEN) for 6,000 miles + $5.60 in taxes and fees one-way nonstop:
Boston (BOS) to Austin (AUS) for 6,500 miles + $5.60 in taxes and fees one-way nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Nashville (BNA) for 8,000 miles + $5.60 in taxes and fees one-way:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Lihue, Hawaii (LIH) for 13,500 miles + $5.60 in taxes and fees one-way nonstop:
Detroit (DTW) to San Jose, CA (SJC) for 16,000 miles + $11.20 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
(Feature image by Chris Rank/Rank Studios)
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees