This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi Prestige Card
Delta has launched an award sale for travel to Europes, with round-trip economy awards starting at 32,000 SkyMiles. While it’s not the first time Delta has offered European awards as part of a flash sale — and it probably won’t be the last — these are great redemptions that could be worth taking advantage of.
For these flash sale redemptions, you’ll need to travel between Jan. 15 and March 31, 2019. Although Delta’s deals site only lists select routes for these deals, we’re seeing quite a few other airports included as well as these promo redemption rates extending beyond the given dates.
At current TPG valuations, 32,000 SkyMiles are worth approximately $384. Adding in taxes and fees, which seem to range between $57 and $191, you could be getting away with some steals on tickets that often cost several hundred dollars.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Head to Delta.com and search around for the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. The sale ends on Nov. 14 at 11:59pm ET, so book soon if you want to take advantage of the deal.
Routes: Flights from US cities to European cities
Cost: 32,000+ SkyMiles round-trip in economy
Purchase By: November 14
Dates: January 15 – March 31, 2019
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip-delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to London (LHR) for 32,000 SkyMiles + $185 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Zurich (ZRH) for 32,000 SkyMiles + $57 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to London (LHR) for 32,000 SkyMiles + $185 round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Dusseldorf (DUS) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $97 round-trip:
Minneapolis (MSP) to London (LHR) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $191 round-trip:
Detroit (DTW) to London (LHR) for 50,000 SkyMiles + $191 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Pablo Bonfiglio / Getty Images.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards