Incredible deal: Fly to Alaska this summer from 5,000 Delta SkyMiles roundtrip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
For many in the lower 48, this summer will be the first time you’ll be saying hello to Alaska.
With popular international destinations remaining off-limits to U.S. residents, this summer travel season will be domestic-heavy. Airlines have adjusted in recent weeks and months, increasing the number of seats available to leisure destinations, including the state known as “The Last Frontier.”
Delta is offering an incredible SkyMiles award flash sale from dozens of continental U.S. airports to several Alaskan cities. Although Delta has marketed that the sale is from 5,000 SkyMiles roundtrip, but as of publication, most awards are pricing at 10,000 miles. (Seattle and Portland are still available from 5,000 miles.)
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter!
This deal is available from a wide array of airports from coast-to-coast like New York and Atlanta, and even non-hub cities such as Dallas, San Francisco and many, many more. There’s availability through the peak summer travel season, but you’ll want to act quickly because there’s no telling how long this availability will be around.
If the glacier-capped mountains and wild nature of Alaska have been on your bucket list, now is a fantastic time to get booking.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Routes: Dozens of continental U.S. cities to Alaska, roundtrip
Cost: From 5,000 SkyMiles roundtrip
Dates: Now through early Fall 2021
How to book: Go to this Delta landing page and enter your origin and select a city in Alaska. Real-time fares will populate and then select your preferred dates using the calendar tool on the next page.
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Is it worth it?
TPG values SkyMiles at 1.1 cents apiece, so a 10,000-mile award is worth $110, an incredible deal for roundtrip economy travel.
However, it is very important to note that all SkyMiles tickets now include fee-free changes and cancellations to domestic and most international awards, but this excludes basic economy fares. That means if you book in basic economy, you cannot change your ticket or refund your miles (but some Basic Economy tickets originating from Europe, Africa, and other international markets may be changeable for a fee).
With all that said, only book basic economy if your plans are set in stone.
Here are a few examples of what you can book. Your best bet will be to navigate to this Delta landing page to search for flights.
Seattle to various Alaska airports (from 5,000 miles)
New York to various Alaska airports (from 10,000 miles)
Boston to various Alaska airports (from 10,000 miles)
Los Angeles to various Alaska airports (from 10,000 miles)
Dallas to various Alaska airports (from 10,000 miles)
Boosting your SkyMiles balance
There are several ways to earn Delta SkyMiles for the next time there’s a deal. The easiest is by flying Delta-operated flights, traveling with a SkyTeam partner or opening a Delta cobranded credit card. You can also earn miles through everyday activities like shopping and dining.
Here are some of our top picks for Delta cards, exclusively issued by Amex:
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card:
- Earn 70,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card:
- Earn 90,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card:
- Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
Maximize your purchase
When paying the taxes and fees on your award ticket, be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases and offers travel protections in case anything goes wrong. Cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured photo of Denali National Park by Seth K. Hughes / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees