Deal alert: Fly to Cozumel, Mexico, for less than $200
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today’s deal alert is for peak season fares to Cozumel, which Thrifty Traveler says is among the best diving spots in Mexico. Round-trip flights through summer 2022 are available from most U.S. cities, ranging from the high $100s to under $400.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This wide-reaching deal, courtesy of Thrifty Traveler Premium, is unique in that it includes fares for travel booked as late as August 2022, meaning your window to take advantage of these fares is quite long.
Airline: American Airlines and United.
Routes: ORD/DEN/IND/LAX/MSY/PHL/DCA and others to CZM.
Cost: Starting at $166 round-trip for select routes.
Dates: November 2021-August 2022.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Flights are departing from more than 60 U.S. cities as well as Toronto, so you’re likely to find a fare to your liking regardless of where you live. Example round-trip flights included depart from:
- Chicago (ORD) for as low as $166, nonstop.
- Miami (MIA) for as low as $204, nonstop.
- Indianapolis (IND) for as low as $219.
- Austin, Texas (AUS), for as low as $221.
- New York (JFK/LGA/EWR) for as low as $251.
- Los Angeles (LAX) for as low as $263.
- Washington, D.C. (DCA/IAD), for as low as $263.
- Hartford, Connecticut (BDL), for as low as $269.
- Denver (DEN) for as low as $303.
- Houston (IAH) for as low as $308 nonstop.
The fare cabin varies between basic economy and main cabin, which will affect whether the sale fare includes a carry-on bag or seat assignment. The below flight on American is among the lowest-priced in the batch, departing from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) for just over $200 round-trip. It does stop briefly in Miami on the way to Cozumel (CZM), but it’s only for an hour.
Note that the above fare is for American’s main cabin, which includes free seat selection and a carry-on bag.
For the same price, you could take a basic-economy flight also on American departing from Miami International Airport (MIA) the week before Thanksgiving.
Note that this fare would charge you for seat selection, but you would still be able to carry on one bag for free.
Unlike many international destinations, no COVID-19 related protocols, including testing, are required to visit Mexico. All travelers returning to the U.S. will need a pre-departure COVID-19 test taken within three days of scheduled departure to the U.S. If staying in a hotel, Thrifty Traveler suggests contacting them to arrange a return test for you.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on air travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo of San Miguel de Cozumel, Mexico, by Danny Lehman via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees