Deal alert: Flights to Italy from $296 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to the Italian cities of Rome and Milan are currently available from $296 round-trip from various U.S. cities.
Better yet — there’s lots of availability between between March and May, which I personally believe is one of the best times to visit Italy. It’s right before the tourism rush really gets crazy and the weather is perfect for walking around. Since tourism isn’t at it’s peak yet, you’ll be able to see more of the iconic spots without feeling like you have to get in and get out.
If you can’t make it to Italy this spring, you can still get a pretty authentic taste of it in New York City as one of Florence’s most famous restaurants, Osteria delle Tre Panche, is hosting a pop-up restaurant from Feb. 5-23.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Here’s a summary of what’s available:
Airline: British Airways, Swiss, Brussels Airlines, United, Delta, Air Italy
Routes: JFK/EWR/BOS/PHL/SFO/MIA/DEN/ORD to FCO/MXP
Cost: $296+ round-trip in economy
Dates: February – May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $296 round-trip on British Airways:
Newark (EWR) to Rome (FCO) for $324 round-trip on Swiss/Air Canada:
Boston (BOS) to Rome (FCO) for $357 round-trip on Brussels Airlines/Swiss: Philadelphia (PHL) to Rome (FCO) for $376 round-trip on British Airways:
San Francisco (SFO) to Rome (FCO) for $385 round-trip on Delta:Miami (MIA) to Milan (MXP) for $388 round-trip on Air Italy:
Denver (DEN) to Rome (FCO) for $399 round-trip on United:Chicago (ORD) to Rome (FCO) for $400 round-trip on United: Miami (MIA) to Rome (FCO) for $432 round-trip on Air Italy:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by DEA / G. COZZI / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.