Deal alert: Flights to Europe from 15k SkyMiles one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Looking for a way to maximize your SkyMiles in the new year? Here’s a deal you won’t want to miss.
Flights to Europe from various U.S. airports are now available from 15k SkyMiles one-way. TPG reader Mitchell P. first alerted us to this deal, and after doing some digging around, we were able to find even more availability.
The cheapest award tickets are in Delta’s basic economy — meaning you won’t get advance seat assignments, upgrades or be able to make any changes to the flights (after the required 24-hour period). Keep in mind that there are ways to defeat Delta basic economy, such as using a cobranded credit card.
To search, plug in your origin airport atalong with one of the sale destinations mentioned below. We recommend using Delta’s “Flexible Dates” calendar and making sure to check “shop with miles” when looking at search results.
TPG values each SkyMile at 1.2 cents, so 15,000 miles represents a cash equivalent of $180. If you’re in need of SkyMiles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Delta at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: DTW/JFK/ATL/LAX/DFW/MIA to FCO/MXP/MUC/CDG/TXL/LGW
Cost: 15,000+ SkyMiles one-way in basic economy plus taxes and fees
Travel dates: February 2020 to July 2020
Pay taxes/fees with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Premier and the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Detroit (DTW) to Rome (FCO) for 15,000 SkyMiles + $22.80 one-way nonstop in basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for 15,000 SkyMiles + $20 one-way nonstop in basic economy:
Atlanta (ATL) to Munich (MUC) for 15,000 SkyMiles + $20 one-way nonstop in basic economy:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (CDG) for 15,000 SkyMiles + $5.60 one-way nonstop in basic economy:
Dallas (DFW) to Berlin (TXL) for 15,000 SkyMiles + $22.80 one-way nonstop in basic economy:
Miami (MIA) to London (LGW) for 15,000 SkyMiles + $9.10 one-way nonstop in basic economy:
Boosting your SkyMiles balance
There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to using various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; see rates and fees) Get a 60,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first three months, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus after you spend $5,000 in the first three months (offer subject to change at any time). You can transfer Membership Rewards points directly to Delta SkyMiles. Terms apply.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; see rates and fees) Earn 75,000 points after you spend $15,000 on qualifying purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. Terms apply.
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee; $550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020; see rates and fees) Earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months. Terms apply.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express ($95 annual fee; see rates and fees) Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first three months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new card within your first three months. Terms apply.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card, click here.
Featured image by Nicholas Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.