Economy and first-class flights to Austin from $124 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Austin has become a particularly popular destination, as many Americans have relocated to the Texas capital during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you’re looking to see what all the buzz is about, take advantage of economy fares under $200 to Austin from select cities. If you’re flying from Los Angeles, you can also snag a deeply discounted first-class deal.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: Alaska and Southwest.
Routes: Los Angeles; Denver; Kansas City, Missouri; Tulsa, Oklahoma; St. Louis; Oklahoma City; El Paso, Texas; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Nashville; and others to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS).
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: August-November 2022 for economy fares, December 2022-March 2023 for first-class fares.
Book by: One to two days.
This deal was originally sent out from Scott’s Cheap Flights, which sends deals up to 90% off via its Premium membership, which users can try for free for 14 days and then $49 per year. You can also upgrade to the Elite tier for $199 per year and receive all the Premium deals plus premium economy, business-class and first-class alerts.
A variety of economy fares on Southwest Airlines are available to Austin for less than $200 round-trip, including departing from:
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), starting at $124.
- Will Rogers World Airport (OKC), starting at $168.
- Miami International Airport (MIA), starting at $170.
- Denver International Airport (DEN), starting at $178.
- Kansas City International Airport (MCI), starting at $180.
- Nashville International Airport (BNA), starting at $189.
- Colorado Springs Airport (COS), starting at $192.
This deal is particularly beneficial for LA-based travelers, who can choose between economy and first-class seats. To book this deal for an economy fare starting at $148, which is less than half of the usual $385 price tag for this route, book directly through Southwest. From there, you’ll find a nonstop ticket for $124 — even lower than originally advertised.
As a reminder, Southwest’s bread and butter is that all their fares, including their cheapest fare known as “Wanna Get Away,” include two free checked bags and two full-size carry-on items at no extra charge. Plus, you can cancel or change your fare anytime before departure and only pay a fare change if applicable. All of that is pretty hard to beat for a price tag under $125.
Be sure to search Southwest’s Low Fare Calendar for more enticing economy fares from the other cities included in this deal.
LA-based travelers looking for a fancier experience can use this deal to book first-class tickets to Austin on Alaska Airlines. A flight in late January costs $358 round-trip, which is nearly 60% less than the route’s usual fare amount.
Alaska’s first-class fare includes one full-size carry-on and two checked bags, in addition to priority boarding, free meals and a preferred seat located at the front of the aircraft (with more legroom).
Frequent Alaska Airlines flyers could book this same flight for 40,000 miles plus $11.20 in taxes and fees. If you downgrade to the main cabin, it would cost 15,000 miles plus $11.20 in taxes and fees.
According to TPG’s Awards vs. Cash Calculator, which helps users decide how to pay for a flight, using cash for this deal saves you $98 on the main cabin fare or nearly $400 on the first-class fare.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5 points per dollar on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar on travel). Or try the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card (3 points per dollar on eligible Alaska Airlines purchases) or the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card (3 points per dollar on Southwest purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
This deal, particularly the business-class availability from LAX, is not expected to last, so be sure to book sooner rather than later. If booking these flights on Alaska Airlines, it makes more sense to use cash instead of miles. For the Southwest flight from Los Angeles, you can save a minimal amount by using cash.
Featured photo by John Coletti/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees