Deal Alert: Amtrak 2-for-1 Sleeper Sale, Roomettes From $195 and Bedrooms From $259
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Amtrak is back with another buy one, get one sale for sleeper-car trips between Aug. 1, 2019 and Mar. 31, 2020. With this promotion, roomettes can be booked from as low as $195 and bedrooms from $259.
Roomettes are complete with two seats that convert into beds, power outlets, double-decker windows, free meals and access to showers, among other amenities. TPG’s Katie and JT Genter recently tried out a roomette on the Empire Builder and found the seats to be comfortable, the cabin quiet and the complimentary meals ample and edible. However, they recommend arriving in the dining car well before it’s scheduled to close.
Roomettes are on the smaller end and are more suitable for solo travelers or couples, while bedrooms provide a bit more space and a private bathroom.
To book, head to Amtrak.com and enter V540 in the coupon/promo code box before completing your search. The only major restrictions are that the free companion and full fare passengers must travel together in the same room and that the Auto Train is excluded. There are no blackout dates.
Routes: California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle
Cost: Roomettes From $195, Bedrooms From $259
Book by: June 10, 2019
Travel Dates: August 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020
Restrictions: This offer if not combinable with any other discount offer. Sale prices are not available at all times and on all routes. This offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased, a 25 percent cancellation fee may apply
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (3x on travel), Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
|New York, NY – Charleston, SC||$323||$613|
|Washington, DC – Orlando, FL||$314||$602|
|Chicago, IL – New Orleans, LA||$269||$319|
|Seattle, WA – Oakland, CA||$305||$534|
|Los Angeles, CA – Albuquerque, NM||$271||$450|
|Emeryville, CA – Salt Lake City, UT||$236||$395|
|Portland, OR – Los Angeles, CA||$357||$646|
|Atlanta, GA – New Orleans, LA||$220||$285|
|Chicago, IL – Memphis, TN||$197||$259|
|Washington, DC – Chicago, IL||$275||$416|
|San Antonio, TX – New Orleans, LA||$195||$357|
|New York, NY – Chicago, IL||$344||$571|
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.