TAP Sale: Fly Biz to Europe From 120,000 Marriott Points (40k SPG)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card, Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card
Compared to any of the other transferrable points programs, Marriott Rewards partners with many more airline loyalty schemes, even more than American Express and Chase combined.
TAP’s Miles and Go program is currently running a sale on all award flights, it’s offering 50% off flights to any destination in both business and economy. That means you can fly from the US to Europe in lie-flat business for as little as 50,000 miles one-way or 100,000 miles round-trip — or 120,000/240,000 Marriott points. For reference, at legacy SPG rates that’s only 40,000/60,000 points you would have needed to transfer. Note that the discount only works on flights operated by TAP and not on Star Alliance partners like United or Lufthansa.
Let’s take a look at TAP’s award chart for the sale (all prices are one-way), you can fly from North America to Portugal in economy for 50,000 miles or to the rest of Europe and North Africa for 52,500 miles. Economy flights go for 26,000 miles/28,500 miles.
Since Marriott points convert to TAP miles at a 3:1 ratio you would need to transfer the following amount to TAP’s program. Remember that for every 60,000 points you transfer to an airline program, you get a 5,000 mile bonus.
- US –> Portugal in business = 120,000 Marriott points = 50,000 TAP miles
- US –> Europe or North Africa in business = 128,000 Marriott points = 52,666 TAP miles
- US –> Portugal in economy = 63,000 Marriott = 26,000 TAP miles
- US –> Europe or North Africa in economy = 71,000 Marriott = 28,666 TAP miles
The deal is only valid for trips taken in February and March, except for the blackout days of Feb. 22 through March 11. You’ll need to book by Jan. 31 to take advantage of the discounted rates.
It’s worth looking at award availability before you transfer points since you can’t transfer them back to Marriott, or else you may be stuck with a load TAP miles. Also note that it can take quite some time for a points transfer to complete with TAP. Marriott has plenty of other great airline transfer partners, including Alaska and JAL, where you can get outsized value from its points.
The airline is also offering 50% discount on miles and cash bookings — head to TAP’s website to get the full details of the promotion.
If you’re interested in earning Marriott points the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card and the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card are offering 75,000 point welcome bonuses after spending 3,000 in the first three months of card membership.
H/T: Frequent Miler
*This post has been updated to correct a mistake in interpreting TAP’s award chart. A previous version of this story said the deal was for 60,000 Marriott points, but that calculation was made applying the half off deal to TAP’s already discounted chart.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.