Amazing Deal Alert: West Coast to Asia Starting at $285 Round-Trip
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Deals to Asia, especially from the West Coast, aren’t uncommon. In fact, we wrote about great deals to South Korea just the other day. But we haven’t seen tickets this low in a while. We’re seeing great deals from Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) starting at $285 round-trip. Even better, it’s nonstop on Air China. Other deals available include China Southern, China Eastern and Hong Kong Airlines (be aware of the airline’s financial status) to destinations in China, Thailand and Vietnam.
To search, head to Google Flights or Skyscanner and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or Skyscanner.
Airline: Air China, China Southern, China Eastern, Hong Kong Airlines
Routes: LAX/SFO to PEK/KUL/MNL/BKK/SGN and likely more
Cost: $285+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September – March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, (3x on airfare) American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or amextravel.com) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) for $285 round-trip nonstop on Air China:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) for $358 round-trip on China Southern:
San Francisco (SFO) to Manila (MNNL) for $359 round-trip on Hong Kong Airlines via Exploretrip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $370 round-trip on China Eastern:
San Francisco (SFO) to Beijing (PEK) for $396 round-trip on China Southern:
San Francisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $398 round-trip on Hong Kong Airlines via SmartFares:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) for $403 round-trip on Hong Kong Airlines via SmartFares:
San Francisco (SFO) to Shanghai (PVG) for $442 round-trip on Alaska and Hainan:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by DuKai photographer / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.