TripAdvisor Unveils Travelers’ Top Destinations Around the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This morning, March 20, TripAdvisor announced the winners of their 2018 Travelers’ Choice Awards. In total, the awards honor 402 outstanding destinations in 42 lists across the globe and this year, Paris snagged the top spot with the highest-rated global city. New York City, for the eighth consecutive year, ranks #1 as top city for travelers in the United States.
The top spots are world-class cities recognized as travelers favorite places, determined using an algorithm based on reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions in destinations worldwide, gathered over one year, along with traveler booking interest on TripAdvisor.
Last year, Paris was ranked third in the 2017 Travelers’ Choice awards; New York City was voted in fifth place last year, moving down five spots in the global city category and remaining in the top spot for cities in the US.
Top 10 Travelers’ Choice Destinations (domestically):
- New York City, New York
- Maui, Hawaii
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Oahu, Hawaii
- Orlando, Florida
- Chicago, Illinois
- San Diego, California
- San Francisco, California
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“We are honored that New York City has once again been recognized as the number one destination in the US — a position the city has maintained for eight consecutive years,” said Fred Dixon, president and CEO of NYC & Company, the city’s official destination marketing organization. “This achievement reflects the unrivaled travel experiences that can only be found in NYC, including our renowned arts and culture scene, culinary offerings, world-class hotels, entertainment and sporting events, LGTBTQ+ culture and so much more.”
Top 10 Travelers’ Choice Destinations (globally):
- Paris, France
- London, England
- Rome, Italy
- Bali, Indonesia
- Crete, Greece
- Barcelona, Spain
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Marrakech, Morocco
- Istanbul, Turkey
- New York City, New York
“It’s clear in looking at this year’s list of Travelers’ Choice award-winning destinations that our millions of reviewers across the globe love exploring iconic cities that are full of history and rich culture,” said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor in a press release.
The full list of winners in each category can be found here.
Images courtesy of TripAdvisor
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.