TPG Readers on the Best Ways to Redeem Membership Rewards Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every so often, TPG readers want to know how other travelers are redeeming their credit card earnings. To that end, we asked our TPG Lounge members to tell us: “What’s your favorite way to use Amex Membership Rewards points? Any tips for newbies?”
Transfer to Airlines
The overwhelming response was to transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to airlines for maximum value. This is in keeping with our guide for the best Membership Rewards redemptions. Our readers shared their favorite airline redemption options with us:
I transfer to British Airways Avios, and redeem [through] Alaska Airlines. I check availability on AA’s site, then call BA to book. Sometimes they charge a $25 booking fee, sometimes they don’t. — Kathy R.
I’ve transferred to Etihad with bonus, and to British Airways with bonus. At the time Etihad was 30%, and BA was 40%. I’ve used my Avios on AA exclusively so far. Miniscule fees and good availability, even [for] last minute to Vegas from LAX, instead of paying $380 per person. [I get a] 3 cent per point value. — Edmond K.
Transfers to ANA for redemptions to Japan… always pretty inexpensive. I typically book ANA economy as I like to stretch my points. — Zain N.
Transfer for airfare generally, Delta or JetBlue mostly. — Bill F.
Aeroplan to Europe! — Tim S.
ANA to Africa — Jamie R.
Transfer to Delta. Delta has a great summer flight JFK-Nice, France direct on Saturdays and we’ve had good luck booking coach with reasonable points the last few summers. — Cheryl D.
1,200 mi flights on AA through British Airways. Get 3-4 cents per point! — Bryan B.
Generally I use to transfer to Delta (or SkyTeam partners) — Allyson C.
Transfer to Asia Miles to use on Cathay — Meg G.
Transfer points to ANA for 90k (ANA) or 95k (Star Alliance) roundtrip redemption to Asia on J. Free stopover in Tokyo also, when [flying] on ANA! — Peter H.
Wait for bonus transfers. British Airways is a good one for short distances, also JFK–YVR on Cathay. [I’ve] also put some [MR points] into Virgin Atlantic for a RT ANA first[-class redemption]. — Carl C.
Looking forward to transferring to Etihad Guest for either AA transatlantic, or Czech Airlines from Prague to Seoul. — Matt T.
I save them for high-value transfers to foreign airline partners to avoid excise tax. I generally use Ultimate Rewards points for domestic transfers, since that’s not an issue. — Andrew K.
While airline redemptions are one of the most popular ways to utilize Membership Rewards points, Hilton offers a great redemption value on the hotels side. In fact, American Express just permanently increased the transfer ratio between Membership Rewards points and Hilton early this year.
I transfer to Hilton. They have pretty decent point redemption. — Evelyn E.
[I transfer to Hilton] Honors – 3x points that I just used for a romantic weekend for pier 5 hotel at inner harbor, Baltimore. — Varun V.
A few TPG Lounge members boldly owned their redemption methods, despite the inevitable “Facebook laughs”:
[to be honest]…, NYC cabs. — Richard M.
Starbucks gift cards. — Mike Z.
Redeem via Amazon. — Darren L.
Featured image courtesy of the Conrad Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees