This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you weren’t able to jump on Friday’s Cathay Pacific first class award availability, you’re in luck. There are some great economy flight deals popping up today from the both the US east and west coasts to Hong Kong on a variety of carriers, such as American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong Airlines and Xiamen, with prices starting as low as $379 round-trip.
The best way to search for these tickets is via Google Flights. Search your origin city and destination and scroll through the calendar function to find dates that work for you. Then, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA, such as Expedia or Orbitz.
Not sure where to stay? TPG has some recommendations for you:
- Your Points and Miles Guide to Hong Kong
- 8 Reasons Why I’m Obsessed with The Peninsula Hong Kong
- Hotel Review: The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong
- Hotel Review: W Hong Kong – Wonderful Room and Fantastic Suite
- Hotel Review: A Superior Room and a Harbor View Room at the InterContinental Hong Kong
Airline: Xiamen, Hong Kong Airlines, Cathay Pacific, American Airlines
Routes: LAX/JFK/IAD to HKG
Cost: $379+ in economy
Dates: March-May and August-November 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $379 round-trip 1-stop on Xiamen:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $499 round-trip nonstop on Hong Kong Airlines:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $523 round-trip nonstop on Cathay Pacific:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $525 round-trip nonstop on American Airlines:
New York’s JFK to Hong Kong (HKG) for $590 round-trip on American Airlines:
Washington DC’s Dulles (IAD) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $590 round-trip on American Airlines:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by dowell / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees