Brazil Approves Open Skies Agreement With US, Paving the Way for More Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Wednesday, Brazil’s Senate approved an open skies agreement with the US, which means more flights between the two countries. It also means a business deal between American Airlines and Latam Airlines, respectively the biggest airline in the world and the biggest in Latin America, will be allowed to proceed.
Required by the US Department of Transportation, the treaty allows American and Latam to coordinate their schedules and connections. The agreement will also bring an icreased amount of flights between the two countries, with more destinations and routes available. In fact Brazil’s tourism board predicts the number of flights between the US and Brazil will rise by about 30%.
The agreement is also expected to bring lower airfares to and from Brazil and bring additional interest from other US carriers in more routes to Brazil. According to the Brazilian government, 70% more Americans have been traveling to Brazil since the country started its electronic visa program in January.
American and Latam first introduced the agreement in 2011, but some Brazilian lawmakers opposed it due to fears local airlines would not fare well with US competition.
The treaty now goes to the desk of Brazilian President Michel Temer, who is expected to approve it.
Featured image by Agustin Diaz via Unsplash
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees