Brazil Approves Open Skies Agreement With US, Paving the Way for More Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Wednesday, Brazil’s Senate approved an open skies agreement with the US, which means more flights between the two countries. It also means a business deal between American Airlines and Latam Airlines, respectively the biggest airline in the world and the biggest in Latin America, will be allowed to proceed.
Required by the US Department of Transportation, the treaty allows American and Latam to coordinate their schedules and connections. The agreement will also bring an icreased amount of flights between the two countries, with more destinations and routes available. In fact Brazil’s tourism board predicts the number of flights between the US and Brazil will rise by about 30%.
The agreement is also expected to bring lower airfares to and from Brazil and bring additional interest from other US carriers in more routes to Brazil. According to the Brazilian government, 70% more Americans have been traveling to Brazil since the country started its electronic visa program in January.
American and Latam first introduced the agreement in 2011, but some Brazilian lawmakers opposed it due to fears local airlines would not fare well with US competition.
The treaty now goes to the desk of Brazilian President Michel Temer, who is expected to approve it.
Featured image by Agustin Diaz via Unsplash
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.