US Passport Holders Can Now Apply for Brazilian E-Visas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s about to get much easier for American citizens to get their Brazilian visa. Back in October, Brazil announced that it would soon allow travelers from certain countries to apply for an e-visa, making it easier to get to the country without having to apply for a visa in person at an embassy or visa center abroad. And as of Thursday, the Brazilian e-visa site is open for applications.
Effective Thursday, nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan and the US can apply for their Brazilian visitor visa via the new e-visa service. In addition, the cost to get a Brazilian visa has dropped from $160 to just $40 — plus an online service fee of $4.24. The new visitor e-visa is valid for both business and leisure travelers.
The move is part of a government effort to attract more tourists to Brazil, as the number of US citizens visiting the country has declined in recent years. In 2014, approximately 657,000 American tourists visited Brazil. In 2015, that number dropped to 576,000, and in 2016, the year Rio de Janeiro hosted the summer Olympics, the number fell to 570,000.
To apply, go to the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and register an account. Then, complete the Visa Application Form, upload the mandatory documents and answer a set of questions. Finally, make your payment directly on the site. Once your application has been submitted, you’ll get an email with a reference number. The final decision on your visa will be made by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and you should hear a final decision via email within 4-5 business days.
As a result of the simplified process, the country is expecting a 25% boost in foreign tourist arrivals. Although it depends on the nationality of the applicant, the site says that visas are generally valid for two years from the date of issue.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees