US Passport Holders Can Now Apply for Brazilian E-Visas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s about to get much easier for American citizens to get their Brazilian visa. Back in October, Brazil announced that it would soon allow travelers from certain countries to apply for an e-visa, making it easier to get to the country without having to apply for a visa in person at an embassy or visa center abroad. And as of Thursday, the Brazilian e-visa site is open for applications.
Effective Thursday, nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan and the US can apply for their Brazilian visitor visa via the new e-visa service. In addition, the cost to get a Brazilian visa has dropped from $160 to just $40 — plus an online service fee of $4.24. The new visitor e-visa is valid for both business and leisure travelers.
The move is part of a government effort to attract more tourists to Brazil, as the number of US citizens visiting the country has declined in recent years. In 2014, approximately 657,000 American tourists visited Brazil. In 2015, that number dropped to 576,000, and in 2016, the year Rio de Janeiro hosted the summer Olympics, the number fell to 570,000.
To apply, go to the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and register an account. Then, complete the Visa Application Form, upload the mandatory documents and answer a set of questions. Finally, make your payment directly on the site. Once your application has been submitted, you’ll get an email with a reference number. The final decision on your visa will be made by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and you should hear a final decision via email within 4-5 business days.
As a result of the simplified process, the country is expecting a 25% boost in foreign tourist arrivals. Although it depends on the nationality of the applicant, the site says that visas are generally valid for two years from the date of issue.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees