This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s about to get much easier for American citizens to get their Brazilian visa. Back in October, Brazil announced that it would soon allow travelers from certain countries to apply for an e-visa, making it easier to get to the country without having to apply for a visa in person at an embassy or visa center abroad. And as of Thursday, the Brazilian e-visa site is open for applications.
Effective Thursday, nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan and the US can apply for their Brazilian visitor visa via the new e-visa service. In addition, the cost to get a Brazilian visa has dropped from $160 to just $40 — plus an online service fee of $4.24. The new visitor e-visa is valid for both business and leisure travelers.
The move is part of a government effort to attract more tourists to Brazil, as the number of US citizens visiting the country has declined in recent years. In 2014, approximately 657,000 American tourists visited Brazil. In 2015, that number dropped to 576,000, and in 2016, the year Rio de Janeiro hosted the summer Olympics, the number fell to 570,000.
To apply, go to the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and register an account. Then, complete the Visa Application Form, upload the mandatory documents and answer a set of questions. Finally, make your payment directly on the site. Once your application has been submitted, you’ll get an email with a reference number. The final decision on your visa will be made by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and you should hear a final decision via email within 4-5 business days.
As a result of the simplified process, the country is expecting a 25% boost in foreign tourist arrivals. Although it depends on the nationality of the applicant, the site says that visas are generally valid for two years from the date of issue.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees