US Passport Holders Can Now Apply for Brazilian E-Visas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s about to get much easier for American citizens to get their Brazilian visa. Back in October, Brazil announced that it would soon allow travelers from certain countries to apply for an e-visa, making it easier to get to the country without having to apply for a visa in person at an embassy or visa center abroad. And as of Thursday, the Brazilian e-visa site is open for applications.
Effective Thursday, nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan and the US can apply for their Brazilian visitor visa via the new e-visa service. In addition, the cost to get a Brazilian visa has dropped from $160 to just $40 — plus an online service fee of $4.24. The new visitor e-visa is valid for both business and leisure travelers.
The move is part of a government effort to attract more tourists to Brazil, as the number of US citizens visiting the country has declined in recent years. In 2014, approximately 657,000 American tourists visited Brazil. In 2015, that number dropped to 576,000, and in 2016, the year Rio de Janeiro hosted the summer Olympics, the number fell to 570,000.
To apply, go to the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and register an account. Then, complete the Visa Application Form, upload the mandatory documents and answer a set of questions. Finally, make your payment directly on the site. Once your application has been submitted, you’ll get an email with a reference number. The final decision on your visa will be made by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and you should hear a final decision via email within 4-5 business days.
As a result of the simplified process, the country is expecting a 25% boost in foreign tourist arrivals. Although it depends on the nationality of the applicant, the site says that visas are generally valid for two years from the date of issue.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.