This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite landing safely in Volgograd, Russia yesterday, passengers onboard an Aeroflot flight from Moscow experienced a smokey arrival. As they waited to deplane, a portable phone charger caught fire while plugged into the seat’s power outlet.
Based off the video below, passengers remained calm and passed bottles of water to help extinguish the fire. The small blaze was put out quickly but the economy cabin was filled with smoke; you can hear people coughing during the duration of the video clip.
According to RT.com, a Russian news source, the airline is denying reports that a fire broke out onboard the aircraft and is stating that the device simply gave off smoke. The January 31 video appears to show flames onboard, even though it appears they were contained with relative ease.
It has also been reported that some passengers exited the plane by engaging the plane’s emergency slides. Others exited the plane via regulation debarring; it’s unclear if passengers were panicking on board when exiting.
The end of the video shows a crew member removing the phone and charger which appear to be badly burned; the end of the video shows a fire crew boarding the plane. Police told investigators that the phone belonged to a resident of China and the phone would be sent in for further investigation.
Featured image by AFP Contributor / Contributor via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards