This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite landing safely in Volgograd, Russia yesterday, passengers onboard an Aeroflot flight from Moscow experienced a smokey arrival. As they waited to deplane, a portable phone charger caught fire while plugged into the seat’s power outlet.
Based off the video below, passengers remained calm and passed bottles of water to help extinguish the fire. The small blaze was put out quickly but the economy cabin was filled with smoke; you can hear people coughing during the duration of the video clip.
According to RT.com, a Russian news source, the airline is denying reports that a fire broke out onboard the aircraft and is stating that the device simply gave off smoke. The January 31 video appears to show flames onboard, even though it appears they were contained with relative ease.
It has also been reported that some passengers exited the plane by engaging the plane’s emergency slides. Others exited the plane via regulation debarring; it’s unclear if passengers were panicking on board when exiting.
The end of the video shows a crew member removing the phone and charger which appear to be badly burned; the end of the video shows a fire crew boarding the plane. Police told investigators that the phone belonged to a resident of China and the phone would be sent in for further investigation.
Featured image by AFP Contributor / Contributor via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees