Portable Phone Charger Catches Fire on Aeroflot A320
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite landing safely in Volgograd, Russia yesterday, passengers onboard an Aeroflot flight from Moscow experienced a smokey arrival. As they waited to deplane, a portable phone charger caught fire while plugged into the seat’s power outlet.
Based off the video below, passengers remained calm and passed bottles of water to help extinguish the fire. The small blaze was put out quickly but the economy cabin was filled with smoke; you can hear people coughing during the duration of the video clip.
According to RT.com, a Russian news source, the airline is denying reports that a fire broke out onboard the aircraft and is stating that the device simply gave off smoke. The January 31 video appears to show flames onboard, even though it appears they were contained with relative ease.
It has also been reported that some passengers exited the plane by engaging the plane’s emergency slides. Others exited the plane via regulation debarring; it’s unclear if passengers were panicking on board when exiting.
The end of the video shows a crew member removing the phone and charger which appear to be badly burned; the end of the video shows a fire crew boarding the plane. Police told investigators that the phone belonged to a resident of China and the phone would be sent in for further investigation.
Featured image by AFP Contributor / Contributor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.