Welcome to the World’s Two Newest Commercial Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The opening of a new commercial airport isn’t something you see every day. In fact, it’s not something you see every year, even. The enormous investments required are daunting, cost overruns are pretty much a given, the construction can be an endless nightmare and the politics involved — who wants an enormous noise machine in their back yard? — are nearly always a mess. So it was a rare occurrence indeed when two of them opened this week, when passenger operations began at Blaise Diagne International Airport (DSS) in Dakar, Senegal and at the Platov International Airport (ROV) in Rostov-on-Don, Russia.
For Dakar, the new flagship airport, which has been under construction for 10 years, is expected to bring the country to the forefront of the West African economies. The airport cost $575 million and is located about 90 minutes from Dakar’s city center. DSS isn’t only expected to be a major improvement for Senegal, but it will be an improved passenger experience for those traveling to, from or through West Africa. In total, it’s expected to handle three million passengers per year before eventually rising to 10 million per year.
When TPG’s Nick Ellis visited Dakar’s old airport, he called his experience a “disaster.” The new Blaise Diagne Airport will look to be a major upgrade for the city. Delta’s nonstop route between New York (JFK) and Dakar will now fly into DSS. Delta flies a 757-200 aircraft on the route.
Rostov-on-Don Platov International Airport (ROV) also began commercial operations on Thursday. The new airport replaces the existing one, which was constrained by its close proximity to the city. The new airport is about triple the size of its predecessor, with more modern design and functionality, including being designed to handle up to five million passengers per year with a capacity of 1,790 passengers per hour. As for what the airport is equipped to handle, it can host aircraft up to a Boeing 777-300ER.
As for the biggest one among airports in construction, the Berlin Brandenburg Airport, things do not look bright. The new aviation hub for the capital of Europe’s biggest economy was supposed to open in 2012, but design faults among other problems have kept it closed so far, with no official opening in sight.
Featured image by Seyllou / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees