Chase Amazon Prime Card Will Now Earn 5% Back at Whole Foods
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When Amazon announced it would be purchasing Whole Foods last summer, many wondered what benefits Amazon Prime members would see with the new partnership. The online retail giant lowered prices for many of the popular items that the grocery store sold and introduced free two-hour delivery for Prime members.
Amazon and Chase are announcing an exciting new benefit for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card. Starting today, the Amazon Prime Card will earn up to 5% back on Whole Foods purchases. To get the 5% back, you must be an eligible Amazon Prime member, while non-Prime members will earn 3% back at Whole Foods.
The Amazon Rewards Visa Card will earn the following rewards:
- 5% back on Whole Foods Market purchases with an eligible Prime membership; otherwise 3% back
- 5% back at Amazon.com with an eligible Prime membership; otherwise 3% back
- 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores
- 1% back on all other purchases
Additionally, the card doesn’t carry an annual fee and doesn’t charge any foreign transaction fees.
Between 5% back at Amazon.com and 5% back at Whole Foods, the card has a strong value proposition. Just remember that you’ll have to be an Amazon Prime member to receive the full benefits, which costs $99 a year. The rewards are earned as “points” but can be redeemed for cash back, gift cards or Amazon credit all at a rate of 1 cent per point.
Only the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express beats the card with 6% back at US supermarkets — although that’s capped at $6,000 a year; then 1% and comes with a $95 annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
The Amazon Rewards Visa Card, the non-Prime version of the card, will earn 3% back at Whole Foods and Amazon.com, 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores and 1% back on everything else.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Preferred, please click here.
Featured Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.