Boeing, Trump Reach Deal for Two New Air Force One Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Trump Administration confirmed today that it has reached a deal with Boeing for two new Air Force One aircraft, CNBC reports. The deal for the two 747-8 aircraft is expected to total $3.9 billion.
“President Trump has reached an informal deal with Boeing on a fixed price contract for the new Air Force One Program,” a White House spokesman told CNBC. “Thanks to the President’s negotiations, the contract will save the taxpayers more than $1.4 Billion.”
The list price for one of Boeing’s 747-8s is $351.4 million, according to Reuters. But the jumbo jet will require significant modifications before carrying the president.
The administration had formally “booked” its order with Boeing for two of its 747-8 planes back in November 2017, but the price was still being negotiated.
As president-elect, Trump complained about the price tag for replacing Air Force One.
In December 2016, he tweeted:
Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion. Cancel order!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 6, 2016
That complaint resulted in a pledge from Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg that costs for a new Air Force One would not exceed $4 billion.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.