It’s Official: The US Air Force Is Buying Two New 747 Air Force Ones
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing said on Thursday that it had formally “booked” an order from the United States Air Force for two of its 747-8 aircraft that will be converted into the future Air Force One.
Details of the final cost of the order weren’t released, but the official list price for one 747-8 is $351.4 million, according to Reuters. It’s likely that the Air Force got a great deal on these aircraft, considering they’re aircraft originally meant for a Russian airline that had been in storage in the desert after the airline, Transaero, failed.
The Air Force would like to see the new -8s enter service in 2024. Before then, the planes will undergo significant (and expensive) modifications in order to be deemed fit to serve as Air Force One. When the new Boeings are delivered, it will bring the US president’s super-secure aircraft into the modern age — and will bring the US in line with some other nations such as Kuwait that use larger (and more modern) aircraft for their leaders.
Featured image by The Asahi Shimbun via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.