Air France Staff Gets Pepper-Sprayed During Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to the Associated Press, the clash occurred when the airline’s demonstrating staff, who were in front of Air France’s headquarters, attempted to storm past police and into the airport’s main terminals. About 50 protestors made it into the terminal to march and sound off horns.
Air France estimates that nearly one-third of its staff is striking. Hundreds of staff members waved flares, French flags and posters at Paris’ largest airport, the AP reports.
Due to the strike, Air France said only half of the airline’s long-haul flights would take off from Paris, and about 75% of its medium-haul flights to and from Charles de Gaulle and 85% of its short-haul flights would operate. The result was thousands of passengers with canceled or disrupted travel plans, according to AP.
The airline said affected passengers could change or postpone their trips at no extra cost, and refunds will be offered if a customer decides not to travel or if a flight is cancelled or delayed for more than five hours.
Several Air France staff unions are participating in the strike in hopes of a 6% pay increase.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.