This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to the Associated Press, the clash occurred when the airline’s demonstrating staff, who were in front of Air France’s headquarters, attempted to storm past police and into the airport’s main terminals. About 50 protestors made it into the terminal to march and sound off horns.
Air France estimates that nearly one-third of its staff is striking. Hundreds of staff members waved flares, French flags and posters at Paris’ largest airport, the AP reports.
Due to the strike, Air France said only half of the airline’s long-haul flights would take off from Paris, and about 75% of its medium-haul flights to and from Charles de Gaulle and 85% of its short-haul flights would operate. The result was thousands of passengers with canceled or disrupted travel plans, according to AP.
The airline said affected passengers could change or postpone their trips at no extra cost, and refunds will be offered if a customer decides not to travel or if a flight is cancelled or delayed for more than five hours.
Several Air France staff unions are participating in the strike in hopes of a 6% pay increase.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards