This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to the Associated Press, the clash occurred when the airline’s demonstrating staff, who were in front of Air France’s headquarters, attempted to storm past police and into the airport’s main terminals. About 50 protestors made it into the terminal to march and sound off horns.
Air France estimates that nearly one-third of its staff is striking. Hundreds of staff members waved flares, French flags and posters at Paris’ largest airport, the AP reports.
Due to the strike, Air France said only half of the airline’s long-haul flights would take off from Paris, and about 75% of its medium-haul flights to and from Charles de Gaulle and 85% of its short-haul flights would operate. The result was thousands of passengers with canceled or disrupted travel plans, according to AP.
The airline said affected passengers could change or postpone their trips at no extra cost, and refunds will be offered if a customer decides not to travel or if a flight is cancelled or delayed for more than five hours.
Several Air France staff unions are participating in the strike in hopes of a 6% pay increase.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees