Air Canada Jumps on the Basic Economy Bandwagon, Too
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada has announced that it will be introducing a basic economy fare class. According to Air Canada’s website, “Economy Basic” is “now available on select routes and flights within Canada.”
The basic economy trend continues to build as Air Canada hops on the same train that Delta started in 2012 and that American and United joined last year. Air Canada claims that these fares will be lower than Economy, but as we’ve seen in the states, that’s not always true.
Like with its American counterparts, Economy Basic is pretty restrictive especially compared to Economy Tango, the airline’s lowest “regular” economy fare:
So no upgrades, no redeemable or elite miles, no changes or cancellations and no credits towards future travel for Economy Basic flyers. Fortunately, Economy Basic will still allow for a free carry-on, unlike American and United. Additionally, seat assignments will cost more in the new fare class, ranging from $20 to $100, while Economy Tango would pay only $10-$50.
Most US flyers won’t see these fares since they are just available on routes within Canada, although it’s possible that Air Canada will introduce Economy Basic on more routes in the future. Air Canada faces competition from low-cost carriers like West Jet and the soon to launch ultra-low cost startup Swoop.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees