United’s New Premium Plus Cabin to Launch This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines and Delta currently offer a true premium-economy product on select international flights, matching the offerings available with select foreign carriers. United’s been mum on the topic of premium economy, though — until today.
In a memo to employees, the carrier finally shared its plans to launch a product later this year, called United Premium Plus. According to the note, the new seats will be available “on select international flights,” and will include upgraded dining and dinnerware, free booze, an amenity kit and a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow.
Based on a photo distributed to employees, the seat appears to be the same model currently in use by American Airlines and Delta — it’s generally a step up from the seat United offers in domestic first class, though it’s possible that refreshed first-class cabins could eventually be updated with a version of the new Premium Plus seat.
For comparison purposes, here’s United’s proposed seat:
Meanwhile, here’s the one you’ll find on American Airlines:
And this is the version in use on Delta’s Airbus A350s:
While there are more questions than answers at this point, it’s clear that United’s landed on a specific model, and does indeed have plans to begin rolling out a premium-economy seat of its own. Expect to hear more as we approach the official launch, “later this year.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees