This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines and Delta currently offer a true premium-economy product on select international flights, matching the offerings available with select foreign carriers. United’s been mum on the topic of premium economy, though — until today.
In a memo to employees, the carrier finally shared its plans to launch a product later this year, called United Premium Plus. According to the note, the new seats will be available “on select international flights,” and will include upgraded dining and dinnerware, free booze, an amenity kit and a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow.
Based on a photo distributed to employees, the seat appears to be the same model currently in use by American Airlines and Delta — it’s generally a step up from the seat United offers in domestic first class, though it’s possible that refreshed first-class cabins could eventually be updated with a version of the new Premium Plus seat.
For comparison purposes, here’s United’s proposed seat:
Meanwhile, here’s the one you’ll find on American Airlines:
And this is the version in use on Delta’s Airbus A350s:
While there are more questions than answers at this point, it’s clear that United’s landed on a specific model, and does indeed have plans to begin rolling out a premium-economy seat of its own. Expect to hear more as we approach the official launch, “later this year.”
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*