United’s New Premium Plus Cabin to Launch This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines and Delta currently offer a true premium-economy product on select international flights, matching the offerings available with select foreign carriers. United’s been mum on the topic of premium economy, though — until today.
In a memo to employees, the carrier finally shared its plans to launch a product later this year, called United Premium Plus. According to the note, the new seats will be available “on select international flights,” and will include upgraded dining and dinnerware, free booze, an amenity kit and a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow.
Based on a photo distributed to employees, the seat appears to be the same model currently in use by American Airlines and Delta — it’s generally a step up from the seat United offers in domestic first class, though it’s possible that refreshed first-class cabins could eventually be updated with a version of the new Premium Plus seat.
For comparison purposes, here’s United’s proposed seat:
Meanwhile, here’s the one you’ll find on American Airlines:
And this is the version in use on Delta’s Airbus A350s:
While there are more questions than answers at this point, it’s clear that United’s landed on a specific model, and does indeed have plans to begin rolling out a premium-economy seat of its own. Expect to hear more as we approach the official launch, “later this year.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.