United’s New Premium Plus Cabin to Launch This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines and Delta currently offer a true premium-economy product on select international flights, matching the offerings available with select foreign carriers. United’s been mum on the topic of premium economy, though — until today.
In a memo to employees, the carrier finally shared its plans to launch a product later this year, called United Premium Plus. According to the note, the new seats will be available “on select international flights,” and will include upgraded dining and dinnerware, free booze, an amenity kit and a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow.
Based on a photo distributed to employees, the seat appears to be the same model currently in use by American Airlines and Delta — it’s generally a step up from the seat United offers in domestic first class, though it’s possible that refreshed first-class cabins could eventually be updated with a version of the new Premium Plus seat.
For comparison purposes, here’s United’s proposed seat:
Meanwhile, here’s the one you’ll find on American Airlines:
And this is the version in use on Delta’s Airbus A350s:
While there are more questions than answers at this point, it’s clear that United’s landed on a specific model, and does indeed have plans to begin rolling out a premium-economy seat of its own. Expect to hear more as we approach the official launch, “later this year.”
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee