Uber Is Rewarding On-Time Riders With Discounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ride-share giant Uber is rewarding riders for being on time. On Monday morning, Uber emailed me with a discount on several rides just for being on time — up to $40 off 10 rides.
According to the offer, targeted Uber riders will get $4 off 10 rides for one week only. The terms and conditions state that the offer is valid only for riders who have been targeted, and the 10 rides must be completed within one week in order to get the discount.
Also according to the terms, the discount is valid only on UberX, UberPool, ExpressPool, UberWAV, UberAssist and UberEspañol rides. In addition, the rides must be completed in any of the following areas in order to get $4 off: San Francisco, Austin, New York City, New York City suburbs, upstate New York, Boston, Chicago, Washington, DC, Seattle, Los Angeles, Miami, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, San Diego, Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, Orange County, Baltimore, Portland, Sacramento, Nashville, New Jersey, Connecticut, Detroit, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando or Houston.
We reached out to Uber to see if this is a new promotion or if it’s been around for a while, but have yet to hear back.
As for why I was targeted, I’m usually an on-time rider. I try to be outside or waiting by my door and in the car within one minute of the ride arriving. It’s unclear how exactly Uber is targeting riders and what it considers as being on time.
This is the latest move we’ve seen from Uber trying to win loyalty from its riders back after a tumultuous 2017.
Have you been targeted for the Uber on-time discount?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.