This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dear former owners of Slim the house cat: I hate you.
As reported by TSA spokesman Mike England, unnamed people packed a live house cat in their checked luggage.
While baggage compartments are typically pressurized and temperature controlled, all kinds of terrible things can happen to checked bags between the time they’re dropped at the counter and when you pick them up at the carousel. Not to mention the fact that baggage handlers aren’t charged with feeding and otherwise caring for live animals — especially those they aren’t aware of.
So, rather than tucking your furry friend in with your haphazardly packed flannel shirts and jeans, you should follow your airline’s procedures for traveling with a pet — either by paying a fee to bring it with you in the cabin or arranging for transportation in the cargo hold.
And if you can’t afford to pay to transport your pet properly, be sure to leave them under the care of a responsible human at home.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees