TSA Has an App to Help Skirt Security Wait Times
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Attention world travelers: Stop what you’re doing and download TSA’s MyTSA app.
The Transportation Security Administration is offering, for once, a service to ease travelers’ woes. We’ve all heard the horror stories of people missing flights because of exceedingly long security lines or getting randomly selected for a security screening, but with the MyTSA app, those are problems of the past — or so we hope.
The app was originally released in July 2010, but the wait times were crowdsourced. With a new feature that debuted in the summer of 2017, MyTSA provides passengers with 24/7 access to airport security information. It includes helpful tips and hints for preparing for security including a searchable database of what you can and cannot bring in your carry-on.
Through the app, you can also:
- See security checkpoint times reported by travelers
- Check airport or weather delays that may affect your flight
- Report your own security checkpoint wait times to help other travelers in your area
- Discover which airports support TSA PreCheck and learn how to sign up
- Check how historically busy an airport will be on your specific day and time of travel
- Request live assistance from TSA through the AskTSA direct message feature
The app is available for free download on the app store for iOS and Android phones.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.