This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s like Christmas morning for IHG Rewards members. After tinkering around with the PointsBreaks program over the past few years, the latest iteration went live Monday at noon Eastern time. Over 200 hotels are on this version at one of three points levels: 5,000 points; 10,000 points or 15,000 points. We got a preview of 30 of these hotels on Friday, but the other 170+ were kept a secret right up until they were bookable.
Bookings are live as of noon Eastern Monday. So, hurry up and book! See the full list of PointBreaks hotels here.
The preview has us excited with three InterContinental hotels, seven Crowne Plaza properties and three Hotel Indigo locations discounted up to 75% off the standard award rates. For example, the Hotel Indigo Veracruz Boca Del Rio is one of at least four properties that normally runs for 20,000 per award night but is discounted to 5,000 points per night for PointBreaks:
At current TPG valuations, these hotel nights are valued at:
- 5,000 points per night @ 0.7 cents per point = $35 value per night
- 10,000 points per night @ 0.7 cents per point = $70 value per night
- 15,000 points per night @ 0.7 cents per point = $105 value per night
That said, IHG’s semi-common 100% bonus when buying points and the annual Daily Getaways program often offer members the chance to buy points around 0.575 cents per point. At those rates, these nights are even cheaper:
- 5,000 points per night @ 0.575 cents per point = $29 cost per night
- 10,000 points per night @ 0.575 cents per point = $58 cost per night
- 15,000 points per night @ 0.575 cents per point = $86 cost per night
At these rates, not surprisingly the best options get scooped up quickly. So, take a look at your travel calendar now through April 30, 2018 to see where you need to stay and then click here to check out the list of properties to see if there’s one that works with your travel schedule.
Update: Another disappointing PointBreaks list by IHG. While IHG did in fact double the number of hotels included on the PointBreaks list, it sharply dropped the number of hotels bookable at 5,000 points per night. Past lists included at least 100 hotels at the old 5,000 rate per night. This list includes just 33 hotels at 5,000 — a drop by at least 67%.
Here’s a breakout of the full list by brand and price level:
|Holiday Inn Express||7||45||16||68|
Featured image by Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees