World’s Largest Starbucks Opens in Shanghai
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The next time you’re in Shanghai, you might want to add a trip to Starbucks to your itinerary — no joke.
According to CNN.com, Starbucks opened its largest store to date there yesterday, spanning 30,000-square-feet. The space is part of the new retail program, Starbucks Reserve Roastery, giving customers the opportunity to watch beans being roasted onsite. In addition to coffee, there’s also a special tea bar, mixing up creations like “nitrogen cold brew tea.”
Starbucks hasn’t gone this big since it opened the Reserve Roastery location in Seattle three years ago. This Shanghai shop is twice as big.
Despite new endeavors, the coffee chain has seen a decrease in sales this year, except in China where sales have risen 8% compared to last year. CNN.com notes that Starbucks opens a new store in China “every 15 hours on average.”
In 2019, Chicago is expected to get an even-larger Reserve Roastery, said to be a whopping “43,000-square-feet.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.