Singapore Finally Improves Business-Class Recline With Latest A380
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For years, Singapore Airlines has been leading the way when it comes to long-haul business class — while there’s always been room for improvement, SQ was one of the first airlines to offer lie-flat seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, and innovations like Book the Cook make the carrier even more appealing.
That said, there’s been one element of the business-class experience that I’ve found especially puzzling: the conversion from upright seat to lie-flat bed. Even the Airbus A350, which, until this week’s new A380 delivery offered the carrier’s latest and greatest biz, sports seats with limited recline — to go into the full lie-flat mode, flight attendants must fold the entire seat forward.
I generally spend much of the flight in an almost-but-not-quite-lie-flat position, which simply hasn’t been possible in Singapore’s business cabin. That changed this week.
Singapore Airlines just took delivery of its first of five brand-new Airbus A380s — this particular aircraft, with registration 9V-SKU, will initially operate one of the daily flights between Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD). Passengers booking business class on the following flights will be the first to experience the new seat.
- SQ221 Singapore (SIN) 8:40pm Departure ⇒ Sydney (SYD) 7:40am (+1) Arrival
- SQ232 Sydney (SYD) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ Singapore (SIN) 5:35pm Arrival
There are a handful of improvements, which I’ll detail in a later post, but the most notable design change brings Singapore’s seat in line with almost every other lie-flat bed out there.
Now, rather than asking a flight attendant to fold the seat forward into a bed, you just press and hold a button. That means you can stop anywhere between the full-upright and full-flat positions, as you can see in the video below.
Honestly, I think this is long-overdue — over the years, I’ve spent the equivalent of several days sitting in a variety of Singapore’s business-class seats, beginning with a nearly 19-hour nonstop haul back in 2013. Each time, once I had the seat converted to a bed, I’d have to prop myself up with pillows — which, I know, poor me, but it actually does get uncomfortable after a while.
The challenge now is getting this seat rolled out throughout the long-haul fleet. Singapore’s existing Airbus A350-900 orders will continue to roll out with the older version, and it’s not clear if the new seat will be offered on the ULR configuration that’ll fly between Singapore and Los Angeles (LAX) and New York beginning in 2018.
For now, all we know is that it’s coming to the A380 fleet — starting with new deliveries and eventually making its way to the rest of Singapore’s superjumbos. It’s a step in right direction, though — an improvement that I imagine many SQ loyalists have been eager to see for some time.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees