Qantas to Fly Its Dreamliner Between San Francisco and Melbourne
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 1/18/2018 5:30pm ET: Qantas has announced that it’s launching this new service on September 1, 2018 (August 31, 2018, in the US). Fares are available as of today.
Here’s the operating schedule — both operate on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays:
- QF49 Melbourne (MEL) 9:40pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 7:00pm Arrival
- QF50 San Francisco (SFO) 10:00pm Departure ⇒ Melbourne (MEL) 6:30am (+2) Arrival
Qantas announced on Thursday that it’s set to launch a new Dreamliner route. In 2018, the Australian carrier will deploy its 787-9 on a new route between San Francisco (SFO) and Melbourne (MEL).
The new service is expected to launch at some point in late 2018, though an exact date hasn’t been set. In the announcement, the carrier said that tickets between SFO and MEL will go on sale in early 2018.
Qantas has released very few details at this point. We don’t yet know the frequencies with which this route will operate, and we don’t yet know the schedule. Once the route launches in 2018, it will be the only nonstop option between the two cities.
The carrier took delivery of its first 789 in October. TPG‘s JT Genter flew the aircraft in premium economy between Sydney (SYD) and Melbourne (MEL) and enjoyed his experience. On Friday, the carrier will launch the aircraft on its first international long-haul route between Melbourne (MEL) and Los Angeles (LAX). Eventually, in March 2018, Qantas will use the 789 to operate the world’s longest flight between London (LHR) and Perth (PER).
The carrier’s Dreamliner aircraft are equipped with three cabins: business, premium economy and economy. More specifically, you’ll find 42 business seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, 28 premium economy seats in a 2-3-2 configuration and 166 economy seats in a 3-3-3 configuration.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees