First Bangkok Michelin Guide Awards Stars to 3 Restaurants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Michelin Guide for Bangkok has arrived with three restaurants receiving two stars and another 14 being awarded two stars each. In the top-three are Gaggan, Le Normandie in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and Mezzaluna atop the Lebua Hotel. There were no restaurants granted the highest level of three stars.
The restaurants that received one star are Bo.Lan, Chim by Siam Wisdom, Elements, Ginza Sushi Ichi, J’aime by Jean-Michel Lorain, L’atelier de Joel Rubuchon, Nahm, Paste, Saneh Jaan, Savelberg, Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin, Suhring, Upstairs at Mikkeller and Jay Fai.
The latter is of particularly note because it is categorized as “street food,” a street-side stall with an open kitchen noted for its curries. The guide also gave Bib Gourmand awards to an additional 35 restaurants that offered good quality fare for the money.
“We are proud to launch this first selection of the Michelin Guide dedicated to Bangkok, highlighting the richness of the city’s gastronomy,” said Michael Ellis, International Director for the guides.
One Michelin star means worthy of a stop, two stars means worthy of a detour and three stars mean worthy of a special journey.
“The Michelin Guide elevates everything in one day,” Chef Gaggan Anand said to CNN regarding his eponymous restaurant. “It changes Bangkok from the street food capital to the gourmet capital of the world.”
Featured image by seksan Mongkhonkhamsao via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.