First Bangkok Michelin Guide Awards Stars to 3 Restaurants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Michelin Guide for Bangkok has arrived with three restaurants receiving two stars and another 14 being awarded two stars each. In the top-three are Gaggan, Le Normandie in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and Mezzaluna atop the Lebua Hotel. There were no restaurants granted the highest level of three stars.
The restaurants that received one star are Bo.Lan, Chim by Siam Wisdom, Elements, Ginza Sushi Ichi, J’aime by Jean-Michel Lorain, L’atelier de Joel Rubuchon, Nahm, Paste, Saneh Jaan, Savelberg, Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin, Suhring, Upstairs at Mikkeller and Jay Fai.
The latter is of particularly note because it is categorized as “street food,” a street-side stall with an open kitchen noted for its curries. The guide also gave Bib Gourmand awards to an additional 35 restaurants that offered good quality fare for the money.
“We are proud to launch this first selection of the Michelin Guide dedicated to Bangkok, highlighting the richness of the city’s gastronomy,” said Michael Ellis, International Director for the guides.
One Michelin star means worthy of a stop, two stars means worthy of a detour and three stars mean worthy of a special journey.
“The Michelin Guide elevates everything in one day,” Chef Gaggan Anand said to CNN regarding his eponymous restaurant. “It changes Bangkok from the street food capital to the gourmet capital of the world.”
Featured image by seksan Mongkhonkhamsao via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.