First Bangkok Michelin Guide Awards Stars to 3 Restaurants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Michelin Guide for Bangkok has arrived with three restaurants receiving two stars and another 14 being awarded two stars each. In the top-three are Gaggan, Le Normandie in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and Mezzaluna atop the Lebua Hotel. There were no restaurants granted the highest level of three stars.
The restaurants that received one star are Bo.Lan, Chim by Siam Wisdom, Elements, Ginza Sushi Ichi, J’aime by Jean-Michel Lorain, L’atelier de Joel Rubuchon, Nahm, Paste, Saneh Jaan, Savelberg, Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin, Suhring, Upstairs at Mikkeller and Jay Fai.
The latter is of particularly note because it is categorized as “street food,” a street-side stall with an open kitchen noted for its curries. The guide also gave Bib Gourmand awards to an additional 35 restaurants that offered good quality fare for the money.
“We are proud to launch this first selection of the Michelin Guide dedicated to Bangkok, highlighting the richness of the city’s gastronomy,” said Michael Ellis, International Director for the guides.
One Michelin star means worthy of a stop, two stars means worthy of a detour and three stars mean worthy of a special journey.
“The Michelin Guide elevates everything in one day,” Chef Gaggan Anand said to CNN regarding his eponymous restaurant. “It changes Bangkok from the street food capital to the gourmet capital of the world.”
Featured image by seksan Mongkhonkhamsao via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.