WOW Air to Launch Service From Another New York Airport, With Fares From $99 One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
WOW Air is expanding aggressively on the US transatlantic market, offering travelers flights to Iceland and beyond from $99 one-way. On Tuesday, WOW announced it’s adding another airport to its growing list of US destinations — New York’s JFK, with fares from $99 one-way — and adding additional frequencies to its existing route out of Newark (EWR).
[Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
The Iceland-based carrier will launch service from Reykjavik (KEF) to New York (JFK) on April 26, 2018. Of course, flyers traveling from JFK to KEF will then have the option to connect to any of WOW’s Europe destinations, from Milan (MXP) to Dusseldorf (DUS). Here’s the route schedule:
- WW109 Reykjavik (KEF) 9:10pm Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 11:25pm Arrival
- WW110 New York (JFK) 12:40am Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 10:45am Arrival
Tickets are now available to book on WOW’s new route from JFK. The $99 one-way fares will be eligible for service from JFK to Paris (CDG), Amsterdam (AMS), London Stansted (STN), Frankfurt (FRA), Dublin (DUB), Copenhagen (CPH), Berlin (SXF) and Reykjavik (KEF). In order to get one of the $99 one-way fares, you must book a round-trip ticket. For example, I was able to find a round-trip ticket from New York (JFK) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $249, including the $99 one-way fare.
In addition to adding JFK to its route network, WOW Air is also adding frequencies to its existing service from Newark (EWR). Beginning May 2018, the carrier will offer 13x weekly service from EWR to KEF. However, the exact schedule and date for which WOW will be extending its service have yet to be reflected on the carrier’s website. Currently, WOW offers daily service on the route.
To celebrate its expansion in New York City, the carrier is also offering $99 one-way tickets for a limited time on the following routes:
- From Newark (EWR), Cleveland (CLE) and Cincinnati (CVG) ⇒ Paris (CDG), Amsterdam (AMS), London Stansted (STN), Frankfurt (FRA), Dublin (DUB), Copenhagen (CPH) and Berlin (SXF)
- From Miami (MIA) ⇒ Paris (CDG), Amsterdam (AMS), Dublin (DUB) and Copenhagen (CPH)
- From Boston (BOS) and Pittsburgh (PIT) ⇒ Paris (CDG), Amsterdam (AMS), London Stansted (STN), Brussels (BRU), Dublin (DUB), Copenhagen (CPH), Edinburgh (EDI) and Stockholm (ARN)
Keep in mind that WOW Air is a low-cost carrier, meaning you’ll pay fees for things that are usually free. Fees you’ll pay range from meals to seat assignments to checked baggage and more. So, while the fare may seem too good to pass up, keep in mind that if you want to customize your trip, you’ll have to pay more. TPG staffer Brendan Dorsey flew WOW between San Francisco (SFO) and Reykjavik (KEF) — check out his experience here.
New York’s JFK is WOW’s 14th US destination. In September, the carrier announced it was going to begin service from Dallas (DFW) to Iceland. In addition, the carrier also services two other North American cities: Toronto (YYZ) and Montréal (YUL).
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.