Watch United’s Heartfelt Tribute to the Boeing 747
As the Boeing 747 is slowly phased out of service, airlines, their employees and their customers have had to say goodbye to the Queen of the Skies. United is parting ways with the big bird and will have a farewell flight on November 7th from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL), which is actually the same route as the airline’s 747 inaugural flight in 1970. The last regularly scheduled United international 747 service was on UA 892 on October 29 from Seoul (ICN) to San Francisco (SFO).
100 TPG readers and their families were able to join us at United’s Family day at SFO last month where the airline displayed two 747s including one in special “Friend Ship ” livery. The first twin-aisle jet in the world, which first flew in 1969, has left a mark on people around the world, and United was among the first to operate it. The 747-400 version that retires this month is a far cry technologically from the 747-100 that United began flying 47 years ago, but that didn’t matter to 747 aficionados, including the hundreds of people on the special party flight for the United 747’s last domestic hop.
The airline created a great tribute video that takes viewers through the history of the airplane and everything that made it so special. You’ll get to hear from the carrier’s CEO Oscar Munoz down to flight attendants and veteran pilots.
Enjoy a few minutes with the Queen of the Skies here:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.