Watch United’s Heartfelt Tribute to the Boeing 747
As the Boeing 747 is slowly phased out of service, airlines, their employees and their customers have had to say goodbye to the Queen of the Skies. United is parting ways with the big bird and will have a farewell flight on November 7th from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL), which is actually the same route as the airline’s 747 inaugural flight in 1970. The last regularly scheduled United international 747 service was on UA 892 on October 29 from Seoul (ICN) to San Francisco (SFO).
100 TPG readers and their families were able to join us at United’s Family day at SFO last month where the airline displayed two 747s including one in special “Friend Ship ” livery. The first twin-aisle jet in the world, which first flew in 1969, has left a mark on people around the world, and United was among the first to operate it. The 747-400 version that retires this month is a far cry technologically from the 747-100 that United began flying 47 years ago, but that didn’t matter to 747 aficionados, including the hundreds of people on the special party flight for the United 747’s last domestic hop.
The airline created a great tribute video that takes viewers through the history of the airplane and everything that made it so special. You’ll get to hear from the carrier’s CEO Oscar Munoz down to flight attendants and veteran pilots.
Enjoy a few minutes with the Queen of the Skies here:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees