This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the Boeing 747 is slowly phased out of service, airlines, their employees and their customers have had to say goodbye to the Queen of the Skies. United is parting ways with the big bird and will have a farewell flight on November 7th from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL), which is actually the same route as the airline’s 747 inaugural flight in 1970. The last regularly scheduled United international 747 service was on UA 892 on October 29 from Seoul (ICN) to San Francisco (SFO).
100 TPG readers and their families were able to join us at United’s Family day at SFO last month where the airline displayed two 747s including one in special “Friend Ship ” livery. The first twin-aisle jet in the world, which first flew in 1969, has left a mark on people around the world, and United was among the first to operate it. The 747-400 version that retires this month is a far cry technologically from the 747-100 that United began flying 47 years ago, but that didn’t matter to 747 aficionados, including the hundreds of people on the special party flight for the United 747’s last domestic hop.
The airline created a great tribute video that takes viewers through the history of the airplane and everything that made it so special. You’ll get to hear from the carrier’s CEO Oscar Munoz down to flight attendants and veteran pilots.
Enjoy a few minutes with the Queen of the Skies here:
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees