Extreme United Elite Demonstrates Workout Techniques on a 747, Dreamliner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a question I get constantly — with frequent travel and caloric in-flight meals, snacks and beverages, combined with hours and hours of sitting, how do you stay fit? For me, it’s walking — a lot of walking. We’re talking more than a dozen miles per day in some cases, exploring new cities, hiking through nature reserves or doing laps around the terminal between flights. For others, it’s working out — even during long-haul flights, in some cases.
United Global Services member Jason DiVenere falls into that latter camp. He frequently travels with 18-million-miler Tom Stuker — who even makes an appearance in the video below — and while he never came close to Tom’s “500 to 600” United 747 flights, Jason still manages to spend a lot of time at 30,000 feet. So far this year, he’s racked up more than 350,000 Premier-Qualifying Miles over nearly 30 trips with United alone (you can follow his adventures on Instagram here), and there’s still one month to go. That’s a lot of ice cream sundaes.
Jason sent along a video that he filmed on various United flights, including several sessions on the now-retired 747-400. While the unique cabin arrangement in the nose seems to make some of his dips and side raises a bit easier to accomplish, many of the other exercises can be done in any lie-flat seat.
Of course, my first thought was about Jason’s neighbors. Tom seems to be on board, but what about the other passengers? I imagine if you build a rapport with all of your cabin mates they probably wouldn’t mind a few minutes of mid-flight workout action — perhaps you can even lead a class! — but I’d avoid causing a commotion when you’re flying with a bunch of strangers. And, as always, be sure to follow flight attendant instructions. If a crew member instructs you to stop what you’re doing, make sure you comply politely and without delay.
Jason’s galley Champagne bottle workout might be a bit more doable — with a flight attendant’s permission, of course — but if you’re set on getting a full workout in during your next transpacific hop, you might want to consider something a bit more private, instead. Or just stick to exercises you can do in your own seat, assuming you won’t be bothering your neighbor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees