Mysterious Surcharges Appearing on Some Delta Award Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 11/17/2017 at 3:48pm ET: When re-running the same searches as before, now we’re not finding any additional surcharges on awards for either Delta flights or partner redemptions. It seems clear this was just an IT mistake and not a major change to the SkyMiles program.
It’s not clear yet whether this is intentional or an IT bug, but Delta appears to have begun adding carrier surcharges on its award tickets for its own flights originating in the US. Thus far, these unannounced new surcharges are mostly on Delta-operated flights bound for Europe. In other words, Delta isn’t showing additional surcharges on most of its European partner flights yet, nor on any flights to Asia at all.
As first reported by Point Me to the Plane, Delta appears to have made this change out of nowhere. But, that being said, it’s not consistent. We’re also seeing some itineraries that are showing the opposite of this, with partner flights having surcharges and Delta flights having none.
For example, on a sample one-way search from New York (JFK) to Paris (CDG), the lowest economy redemptions come in at 30,000 SkyMiles. However, Delta is adding surcharges totaling $173.60 to the ticket. On the other hand, if you book the flight operated by one of its partners (in this case, Air France), you’ll pay just $5.60 in taxes and fees.
On the other hand, on this JFK to CDG one-way flight, Delta’s site is showing that an economy award will cost 40,000 SkyMiles + just $5.60 in added fees. However, on the option below it and on premium awards, the site is showing the additional surcharges.
Then to completely mix things up, for this flight from JFK to Rome (FCO), Delta’s site is showing one-way awards on its own metal with only the standard $5.60 in added fees. However, on a partner flight operated by Alitalia, there are $141.70 in surcharges.
Point Me to the Plane reported that a representative on the Delta Diamond line said that this change is intentional. We reached out to Delta for comment but have yet to hear back.
If this change is, in fact, intentional, Delta’s having some trouble rolling it out, so if you’re looking at booking an award to Europe and find a flight without surcharges, you might want to grab it now in the case this is a permanent change.
In May, Delta mysteriously added massive fuel surcharges on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class awards. However, after just one day, Delta rolled back the change. While it wasn’t clear what was the cause of the change, it’s entirely possible that these new surcharges for flights to Europe could be a similar issue. Of course, it’s also possible that this is indeed intentional and the surcharges are here to stay. We’ll know soon enough and will update you when we have more information.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees