This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sunday we reported that Delta SkyMiles had begun charging carrier surcharges for Upper Class redemptions on its partner Virgin Atlantic. While the program has always charged the extra fees for customers originating in Europe, this was the first time we saw huge surcharges for those starting out in the US.
By adding the fee, the cost of an award ticket on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class shot up to over $1,200 along with the previously inflated partner redemption price of 170,000 SkyMiles. Compare that to the same route in Delta One business class, which runs only $270 plus 140,000 miles.
As of this Monday morning, though, it appears the website has now rolled back the change. The same Virgin Atlantic flights that included the surcharge yesterday are now pricing identically to the Delta flights, save the 30,000 difference in miles.
What’s going on here? It’s not clear. The original change may have been an IT bug, or this new revision might be the bug. Or it’s possible Delta had planned to make this change and accidentally rolled it out earlier than planned, then rolled it back. Or maybe Delta felt the customer outrage and thought the better of the change. (Alright, that last one is highly unlikely, but it’s always a possibility.)
We’ve reached out to our contacts at Delta for clarification and we’ll update this post as soon as we get more information. In the meantime, if you wanted to book a Virgin Atlantic Upper Class flight using Delta SkyMiles, we strongly suggest you do it quickly just in case this is a temporary glitch.
H/T: Rene’s Points
Featured image courtesy of Virgin Atlantic.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees