Delta Rolls Back Virgin Atlantic Surcharges — But For How Long?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sunday we reported that Delta SkyMiles had begun charging carrier surcharges for Upper Class redemptions on its partner Virgin Atlantic. While the program has always charged the extra fees for customers originating in Europe, this was the first time we saw huge surcharges for those starting out in the US.
By adding the fee, the cost of an award ticket on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class shot up to over $1,200 along with the previously inflated partner redemption price of 170,000 SkyMiles. Compare that to the same route in Delta One business class, which runs only $270 plus 140,000 miles.
As of this Monday morning, though, it appears the website has now rolled back the change. The same Virgin Atlantic flights that included the surcharge yesterday are now pricing identically to the Delta flights, save the 30,000 difference in miles.
What’s going on here? It’s not clear. The original change may have been an IT bug, or this new revision might be the bug. Or it’s possible Delta had planned to make this change and accidentally rolled it out earlier than planned, then rolled it back. Or maybe Delta felt the customer outrage and thought the better of the change. (Alright, that last one is highly unlikely, but it’s always a possibility.)
We’ve reached out to our contacts at Delta for clarification and we’ll update this post as soon as we get more information. In the meantime, if you wanted to book a Virgin Atlantic Upper Class flight using Delta SkyMiles, we strongly suggest you do it quickly just in case this is a temporary glitch.
H/T: Rene’s Points
Featured image courtesy of Virgin Atlantic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.