This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chase has added two new airlines to its growing list of transfer partners — Aer Lingus and Iberia. As of Sunday, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards directly to the two new airline partners at a 1:1 ratio.
While both Aer Lingus and Iberia are new listings on the Ultimate Rewards website, the ability to use your points for redemptions on both carriers is nothing new. Aer Lingus and Iberia are both Avios programs, meaning you could previously transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to British Airways (another Avios program), and then use them toward Aer Lingus and Iberia awards. However, there were some hurdles you had to jump through in order to do so. To convert BA Avios to other Avios programs, your Aer Lingus or Iberia account must have been open for 90 days and there must have been some point-earning activity.
So, the addition from Chase to add both Aer Lingus AerClub and Iberia Plus as individual transfer partners makes using points that much easier for those who hold UR-earning cards. There’s no longer the need to meet the 90-day or point-earning activity requirements. With the two new partners, you can transfer points to three Avios programs at a 1:1 ratio, and in increments in 1,000 points.
Both of these two new programs could offer US-based travelers the opportunity for some valuable redemptions. Aer Lingus’ AerClub uses a distance-based award chart. Based on the award chart, you can fly from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD) or Toronto (YYZ) to Dublin (DUB) in the off-peak season for 13,000 Avios one-way in economy (20,000 one-way in peak season) or 50,000 Avios one-way in business (60,000 one-way in peak season). You’ll also have to pay taxes and fees on these amounts.
Pertaining to the Aer Lingus award chart above, US-based travelers should know that the following cities fall into Zone 6: Miami (MIA), Orlando (MCO), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO).
In February, Iberia made big changes to its award chart, which TPG‘s Julian Mark Kheel detailed. Here’s a look at the peak season award chart. As a point of reference, New York (JFK), Boston (BOS) and Chicago (ORD) fall into Band 5. Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) fall into Band 6.
Here’s a look at Iberia’s off-peak award chart:
So, you could fly from New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) in the off-peak season for 17,000 Avios one-way in economy (or 20,000 one-way in the peak season).
If you’ve been eyeing an award using Aer Lingus AerClub or Iberia Plus, there’s now an easy way to redeem your Chase Ultimate Rewards points. You’ll no longer have to go through the British Airways Avios program, and instead can use points earned from cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Ink Business Preferred and more toward direct redemptions with these two new partners.
With the addition of both Aer Lingus and Iberia, Chase cardholders who earn Ultimate Rewards points now have the option to transfer points to nine airline partners and four hotel partners. Airline partners include: Aer Lingus AerClub, British Airways Executive Club, Air France-KLM Flying Blue, Iberia Plus, Korean Air SkyPass, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Southwest Rapid Rewards, United MileagePlus and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Hotel partners include: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and World of Hyatt.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees